cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Rick Perry was silly to bring it up, but no one believes he's serious about secession.

I do wish, though, that states would take a more proactive stance on the 10th amendment.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Rick Perry was silly to bring it up, but no one believes he's serious about secession.

I do wish, though, that states would take a more proactive stance on the 10th amendment.
You mean other than the 25% of Texans who refuse to say Texas should remain part of the USA in a recent Rasmussen poll?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You mean other than the 25% of Texans who refuse to say Texas should remain part of the USA in a recent Rasmussen poll?
As usual, you are imprecise with your facts. These are the actual numbers:

31% say Texas has the right (independent of whether or not it should)
75% say it shouldn't (18% say it should, 7% are unsure)

I allow that at any given moment about 10-15% of America holds unacceptably nutty views, so this is more or less within that margin. In political terms, getting 75% agreement on any issue is considered a pretty significant margin.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
Cali Coug

Quote:
As usual, you are imprecise with your facts. These are the actual numbers:

31% say Texas has the right (independent of whether or not it should)
75% say it shouldn't (18% say it should, 7% are unsure)

I allow that at any given moment about 10-15% of America holds unacceptably nutty views, so this is more or less within that margin. In political terms, getting 75% agreement on any issue is considered a pretty significant margin.
Um, actually, no- that is precisely what I said. 25% of Texans refuse to say that Texas should remain part of the USA (18%+7%=25%, for those among us who can't add).

10-15% hold "nutty views," and 25% is "more or less within that margin?" You and Indy should get together (... more than you already have). You both view MOE almost identically.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think Texas should secede, but if I was called at home and asked by a polling place, I would probably say yes, just because I don't like polls and like getting people riled up.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #16
Tex

Quote:
Um, actually, no- that is precisely what I said. 25% of Texans refuse to say that Texas should remain part of the USA (18%+7%=25%, for those among us who can't add).

10-15% hold "nutty views," and 25% is "more or less within that margin?" You and Indy should get together (... more than you already have). You both view MOE almost identically.
I'm not sure why you're getting so picky ... because I used the term "no one"? Yes, there are some who want Texas to secede.

It's just a generalized statement. Cool out.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 04-21-2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Made a little nicer.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #17
Cali Coug

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're getting so picky ... because I used the term "no one"? Yes, there are some who want Texas to secede.

It's just a generalized statement. Cool out.
Why I am so picky? Now that is amusing in a thread where you said I wasn't precise enough when I commented that 25% of Texans (in a recent poll) refuse to say Texas should remain part of the US, followed by you giving numbers that add up exactly to 25% of Texans who refuse to say Texas should remain part of the US.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #18
Tex

Quote:
Why I am so picky? Now that is amusing in a thread where you said I wasn't precise enough when I commented that 25% of Texans (in a recent poll) refuse to say Texas should remain part of the US, followed by you giving numbers that add up exactly to 25% of Texans who refuse to say Texas should remain part of the US.
You're right. The poll didn't actually have anything to do with what I said (no one thinks Rick Perry seriously wants to secede). I should've caught the irrelevancy of your comment much earlier.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #19
Cali Coug

Quote:
You're right. The poll didn't actually have anything to do with what I said (no one thinks Rick Perry seriously wants to secede). I should've caught the irrelevancy of your comment much earlier.
You're right. Your comment was off-topic. Instead of discussing the people who want to secede from the union, you focused exclusively on Rick Perry as one of those people, and then tried to make the discussion only about him. I should've caught the irrelevancy of your comment much earlier.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #20
Tex

Quote:
You're right. Your comment was off-topic. Instead of discussing the people who want to secede from the union, you focused exclusively on Rick Perry as one of those people, and then tried to make the discussion only about him. I should've caught the irrelevancy of your comment much earlier.
Heh, ok.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young