cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If Second Amendment haters such as yourself were wise, you'd actually encourage registration for CWPs, and if used illegally, you could enhance the crime.

I have not seen recent statistics, but anybody fearing the misuse of legitimately obtained and lawfully registered weapons for concealment, is misinformed. I cannot understand how anybody opposes CWPs.
I think we should get rid of police. After all, if you are a bad guy, aren't your more likely to try and shoot when the cops shoot at you, and innocent people could get hurt?

Embrace the culture of victimhood. Hell, the murderer is a victim too. A victim of the society that made him murder.

I think a lot of people forgot why them came to hate liberal ideology (thanks Bush). But each day, this nation because more pussified and embraces victimhood.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
If Second Amendment haters such as yourself were wise, you'd actually encourage registration for CWPs, and if used illegally, you could enhance the crime.

I have not seen recent statistics, but anybody fearing the misuse of legitimately obtained and lawfully registered weapons for concealment, is misinformed. I cannot understand how anybody opposes CWPs.
Why? Is the rationale that a CWP holder will be able to protect us all when a crazed shooter starts a killing spree in a mall? Am I to place my confidence in the CWP holder at that point instead of the police? I am to assume that a person is fully capable of pulling out his weapon and aiming it at the bad guy, and killing him and only him, because he holds a CWP?

Let's assume everyone in America holds a CWP (which Waters and you seem to think would be fabulous). One person pulls out a gun and fires a shot. Someone else then pulls out their gun to defend the crowd. Who is the original shooter? The next person who pulls out their gun doesn't know. They only saw the 2nd gunman, who is the good guy here. He was trying to protect people. He is shot by the 3rd gunman, who is also trying to be a good guy. Luckily, everyone has a gun in this Wild West show, so the 4th CWP gunman can quickly eliminate the 3rd gunman for killing the 2nd gunman. At this point, everyone else should all pull out their weapons and open fire on the person they each saw kill another person. Right?

Yeah, sounds great.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Why? Is the rationale that a CWP holder will be able to protect us all when a crazed shooter starts a killing spree in a mall? Am I to place my confidence in the CWP holder at that point instead of the police? I am to assume that a person is fully capable of pulling out his weapon and aiming it at the bad guy, and killing him and only him, because he holds a CWP?

Let's assume everyone in America holds a CWP (which Waters and you seem to think would be fabulous). One person pulls out a gun and fires a shot. Someone else then pulls out their gun to defend the crowd. Who is the original shooter? The next person who pulls out their gun doesn't know. They only saw the 2nd gunman, who is the good guy here. He was trying to protect people. He is shot by the 3rd gunman, who is also trying to be a good guy. Luckily, everyone has a gun in this Wild West show, so the 4th CWP gunman can quickly eliminate the 3rd gunman for killing the 2nd gunman. At this point, everyone else should all pull out their weapons and open fire on the person they each saw kill another person. Right?

Yeah, sounds great.
I don't really have any statistics on the reduced crime by virtue of CWPs. That's not my point.

If you want to know who has weapons, allowing CWPs lets you identify them.

Second, you are likely to find those persons more responsible and safe in handling guns if they take the trouble to register.

It has nothing to do with reduced crime. CWP holders pose no threat at all, IMHO. It's the unlicensed drug dealer who poses a threat.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:

Yeah, sounds great.
How many thousands of dollars paid at Georgetown law produced this?

So far, we have demonstrated the worthlessness of Harvard Law and Georgetown Law. Of course, some might argue law school at any university is worthless.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Yeah, sounds great.
It's a nice example but is just as contrived as the ticking-time-bomb scenario commonly used to justify torture. I doubt you have any statistically meaningful case data to actually back up your hypothetical.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It's a nice example but is just as contrived as the ticking-time-bomb scenario commonly used to justify torture. I doubt you have any statistically meaningful case data to actually back up your hypothetical.
Of course he doesn't.

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/467988
Old 03-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Dude, if it's not printed in Harvard Law Review or Georgetown Law Review it didn't happen and is not true. Get with Obama's program.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Dude, if it's not printed in Harvard Law Review or Georgetown Law Review it didn't happen and is not true. Get with Obama's program.
No doubt, had Lott tried to publish that in the Harvard law journal when Obama was editor, it would have been denied, after a year of delay.

Actually, lawyers aren't smart enough to understand it. They know zero math. All they know is "guns = danger" sort of like they saw it on a flash card one time.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:57 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
PLUS, he isn't even an American! BOOM goes the dynamite!

Back me up, Waters!

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:06 AM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Yeah, sounds great.
Thanks for proving my point.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...222#post302222

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote