cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Merely raising the question suggests Obama can't handle it, inviting comparisons to JFK/Kruschev in Vienna. Moreover, Biden adds:

"And he's gonna need help. And the kind of help he's gonna need is, he's gonna need you - not financially to help him - we're gonna need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it's not gonna be apparent initially, it's not gonna be apparent that we're right."

Of course, this comment also betrays the implication that a McCain presidency would NOT invite this kind of testing. Hard to see how that's otherwise than a suggestion that Obama is not up to the task.
It doesn't say anything about whether or not McCain would also be tested. It primarily states that Biden doesn't think McCain will be president. Biden was talking about the challenges America faces today and noted that some world leaders will test the new president (Obama). Do you disagree with him? Really?

Even if it was a statement that Obama would be tested in ways McCain wasn't, it most certainly isn't a statement that he wouldn't be up to the task. In fact, Biden clearly goes out of his way to state that Obama is brilliant and IS up to the task, and that Obama would be right in his decisions.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Biden said absolutely nothing about Obama failing the test. He said it may not be immediately apparent that they are correct, but to stand strong and trust in their leaders who would be proven correct over time. There is nothing in there at all to give the impression that Kristol pretends we should have.
We trust you Dear Leader. You know what's good for us. You're much smarter than we are. You know what's best for everyone. We trust you Dear Leader. Please take care of us.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Seems pretty clear to me.

"Mark my words," the Democratic vice presidential nominee warned at the second of his two Seattle fundraisers Sunday. "It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking. We're about to elect a brilliant 47-year-old senator president of the United States of America. Remember I said it standing here if you don't remember anything else I said. Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy."

"I can give you at least four or five scenarios from where it might originate," Biden said to Emerald City supporters, mentioning the Middle East and Russia as possibilities. "And he's gonna need help. And the kind of help he's gonna need is, he's gonna need you - not financially to help him - we're gonna need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it's not gonna be apparent initially, it's not gonna be apparent that we're right."

I've forgotten more about foreign policy than most of my colleagues know, so I'm not being falsely humble with you. I think I can be value added, but this guy has it," the Senate Foreign Relations chairman said of Obama. "This guy has it. But he's gonna need your help. Because I promise you, you all are gonna be sitting here a year from now going, 'Oh my God, why are they there in the polls? Why is the polling so down? Why is this thing so tough?' We're gonna have to make some incredibly tough decisions in the first two years. So I'm asking you now, I'm asking you now, be prepared to stick with us. Remember the faith you had at this point because you're going to have to reinforce us."

"There are gonna be a lot of you who want to go, 'Whoa, wait a minute, yo, whoa, whoa, I don't know about that decision'," Biden continued. "Because if you think the decision is sound when they're made, which I believe you will when they're made, they're not likely to be as popular as they are sound. Because if they're popular, they're probably not sound."
It sounds to me that Biden is saying to support someone who will cave to the wrong people.

Like I said, we hear what we want to hear. I can admit it. Can you?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It doesn't say anything about whether or not McCain would also be tested. It primarily states that Biden doesn't think McCain will be president. Biden was talking about the challenges America faces today and noted that some world leaders will test the new president (Obama). Do you disagree with him? Really?
No, I don't disagree with him at all. I think Obama will be viewed as an unqualified, unknown quantity by our enemies (read: Iran) and that they will most definitely test him. And I also agree he's not up to the task and will "need help." Lots of it. Which is why Biden purred during his VP debate: Don't worry, "I'll be right there in the room with him."

This may be the most true thing Biden has said since being selected as VP, though it certainly doesn't help his campaign.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #15
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It sounds to me that Biden is saying to support someone who will cave to the wrong people.

Like I said, we hear what we want to hear. I can admit it. Can you?
With respect to the quote above, I can admit that you are hearing what you want to hear. Please highlight the passages that support what you just said.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Seems pretty clear to me.

"Mark my words," the Democratic vice presidential nominee warned at the second of his two Seattle fundraisers Sunday. "It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking. We're about to elect a brilliant 47-year-old senator president of the United States of America. Remember I said it standing here if you don't remember anything else I said. Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy."

"I can give you at least four or five scenarios from where it might originate," Biden said to Emerald City supporters, mentioning the Middle East and Russia as possibilities. "And he's gonna need help. And the kind of help he's gonna need is, he's gonna need you - not financially to help him - we're gonna need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it's not gonna be apparent initially, it's not gonna be apparent that we're right."

I've forgotten more about foreign policy than most of my colleagues know, so I'm not being falsely humble with you. I think I can be value added, but this guy has it," the Senate Foreign Relations chairman said of Obama. "This guy has it. But he's gonna need your help. Because I promise you, you all are gonna be sitting here a year from now going, 'Oh my God, why are they there in the polls? Why is the polling so down? Why is this thing so tough?' We're gonna have to make some incredibly tough decisions in the first two years. So I'm asking you now, I'm asking you now, be prepared to stick with us. Remember the faith you had at this point because you're going to have to reinforce us."

"There are gonna be a lot of you who want to go, 'Whoa, wait a minute, yo, whoa, whoa, I don't know about that decision'," Biden continued. "Because if you think the decision is sound when they're made, which I believe you will when they're made, they're not likely to be as popular as they are sound. Because if they're popular, they're probably not sound.
"

There you go, Cali. That's what I'm hearing.

What are you hearing?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #17
Cali Coug

Quote:
There you go, Cali. That's what I'm hearing.

What are you hearing?
cluck cluck cluck cluck
Old 10-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
cluck cluck cluck cluck
I am afraid for the future of my family.

I am afraid for the security of this nation.

Obama has not shown me anything or said anything to alleviate those fears.

I am man enough to admit it.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am afraid for the future of my family.

I am afraid for the security of this nation.

Obama has not shown me anything or said anything to alleviate those fears.

I am man enough to admit it.
My concern is not over the immediate security of this nation, though that may or may not become a real concern, but my concern is about the lack of nuanced approach to foreign policy. He appears to prefer an isolationist approach.

Current economics will compel the US to be more isolationist but as the last Super Power, we have some moral duties regarding our role which are not becoming an isolationist core doctrine. Furthermore, economic interests will require an active presence.

Obama apologists will simply argue, "Obama's really smart he knows better but he's just not militaristic." I'm not comforted by declarations of his intelligence. I'm not really comforted by McCain's foreign policy statements either. If I had to speculate upon Obama, he'll be popular for the lavish social programs he initiates and will demonstrate lackluster performance in terms of our real interests, i.e., economic treaties and trade with existing trade partners and developing countries. Because these issues don't bring headlines, he'll likely capitulate to be popular with other nations. We'll be forced to do better than the Kyoto Accords and will capitulate our economic interests at the risks of being greener than the green folk.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #20
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

More fun commentary on Biden's "guaranteed crisis" gaffe:

Hugh Hewitt:

Quote:
The most obvious interpretation of this ramble is that an Iran-Israel confrontation is coming, and that if Obama is president, America will sit it out with, at best, words that do nothing to support Israel or deter Iran.

A President Obama will blink when Iran threatens Israel by approaching the nuclear tripwire. A President Obama will seek to force Israel to live with Iran as a nuclear power capable of either striking Israel or shipping to Hezbollah the means of threatening the very existence of the Jewish state, and the supporters of Israel in the U.S. will be stunned and then angry.

That wouldn't happen under a President McCain.

When even Joe Biden tells you what is going to happen under a President Obama, there's no way to deny the reality of the defeatism and retreat represented by a vote for Obama-Biden.
Bill Dyer:

Quote:
As I contemplate this, I can't help recalling January 20, 1981, the date a new president who was very unlike Barack Obama was being inaugurated. Literally within hours of his becoming Commander in Chief, a 444-day American humiliation at the hands of the Iranian mullahs ended with the return of 52 U.S. hostages who'd been seized from the American embassy in Tehran. The Iranians had pushed around, taunted, ignored, and ridiculed an idealistic and untested young American president whom Barack Obama much resembles. But Ronald Reagan's inauguration put a swift end to our enemies' boldness. Confronted with an American leader whose spine and resolve they did not dare challenge, the bullying terrorists backed down.
One doesn't need to wonder how Obama would've handled the hostage crisis: just look at Jimmy Carter.

Biden knows this, and Allah-be-praised we got him on tape saying so.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote