cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2008, 04:05 AM   #11
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's just that you can't see why the electorate rejected Romney, and I can.
The electorate didn't reject him because he was weak on the economy. You know better than that.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:05 AM   #12
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Great idea Babs! Your strategy sure worked for Bob Dole.

When is the last time a ticket had a true economic expert on the ticket. Economic experts are renowned for their inability to win an election. Phil Gramm, Steve Forbes, Mitt Romney, Ross Perot, Bill Bradley, and the list goes on.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:07 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It's just that you can't see why the electorate rejected Romney, and I can.

Exxon has had record profits. Do you think we should put him in charge of the USA economy?
You do know that I didn't vote for Romney in the primary, right?

Put Exxon in charge of the economy? Or the guy who runs Exxon?

Well, the CEO of Exxon understands how to make a profit, right? Perhaps we need someone to run the country like a business.

This doesn't mean I necessarily think he should be in charge of the economy, so please don't assume that and go down that road and tell me how horrible I am. I'm just saying that someone who knows how to run a business has a better understanding of the economy than a politician. Would you agree with that?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You do know that I didn't vote for Romney in the primary, right?

Put Exxon in charge of the economy? Or the guy who runs Exxon?

Well, the CEO of Exxon understands how to make a profit, right? Perhaps we need someone to run the country like a business.

This doesn't mean I necessarily think he should be in charge of the economy, so please don't assume that and go down that road and tell me how horrible I am. I'm just saying that someone who knows how to run a business has a better understanding of the economy than a politician. Would you agree with that?
like Ross Perot?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:17 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
like Ross Perot?
Perot was nuts, but he still understands the economy better than any politician, doesn't he?

My point, which I know get but will state it (again) is that someone who successfully builds a business understands what the government needs to do - or not do - in order for the economy to be stable.

I'll give you the last word. I don't need to think I'm always right.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:27 AM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Perot was nuts, but he still understands the economy better than any politician, doesn't he?

My point, which I know get but will state it (again) is that someone who successfully builds a business understands what the government needs to do - or not do - in order for the economy to be stable.

I'll give you the last word. I don't need to think I'm always right.
understanding the economy is a dumb requirement for a president.

understanding how to delegate, how to pick smart people to do jobs, and to have good judgment on the big issues that plop on your desk--that's whats important.

where Romney lost is that the people didn't trust him with the presidential things. Job czar--more likely he would be qualified.

None of the great presidents, from what I know, would be considered modern businessmen.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:49 AM   #17
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Michael Savage agrees with Barbara.

http://michaelsavage.wnd.com/?pageId=1538
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #18
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I wonder if the recent 7-houses scare swayed McCain at all? I dunno.
Yeah, Archaea and I were talking about that. It's hard to know whether all that dangling of Romney last week was just a ruse, or whether he really was the pick until McCain blew it on the house question and they realized they couldn't have a McCain/Romney fortunate son ticket and give Obama the perfect opening for an they're-out-of-touch offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Great idea Babs! Your strategy sure worked for Bob Dole.
Clinton had already run on the economy in 1992 ("It's the economy stupid"), and luckily for him, by 1996 the the economy was showing mark-ed improvement as we headed into the tech boom, so he got the credit for that. (Presidential approval lives and dies by the economy.)[/quote]

Quote:
When is the last time a ticket had a true economic expert on the ticket. Economic experts are renowned for their inability to win an election. Phil Gramm, Steve Forbes, Mitt Romney, Ross Perot, Bill Bradley, and the list goes on.
All I know is that the only time Romney's numbers were climbing was when he stuck to his rhetoric about how many corporations he would save and how he would revitalize our economy by investing in new energy technology and scientific research.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #19
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
What McCain forfeited, if you ask me, is the opportunity to have the only ticket with any perceived economic credibility.

McCain has already admitted that he "doesn't understand" the economy, and that quote is certainly going to get plenty of airtime these next two months. So he could really use some help in this arena. Now Obama, he had to go with a foreign policy VP to make up for his weakness on that front, which leaves him with no economic credentials anywhere on his ticket.

Quote:
McCain has narrowed Obama's wide advantage on handling the economy, by far the electorate's top issue. Before the GOP convention, Obama was favored by 19 points; now he's favored by 3.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...-07-poll_N.htm

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #20
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Lenin was an economic expert of sorts. Of course, he didn't need an election.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote