cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
We are talking about whether it is appropriate for kids to dress like Sitting Bull during this song.
Yeah, from a racial sensitivity standpoint. One issue at a time.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
The song, people. I'm taking you back to primary again (yes, that is where I spend most of my Sunday meetings).

I would say we sing the song "Book of Mormon Stories" approximately every other week in our Primary. And invariably some person starts doing those actions, like two fingers behind their head, to signify some kind of stereotypical American Indian thing. They wave their arm for "far across the sea" and then do some kind of old movie Western thing at the end with their arms that also seems to be some kind of American Indian stereotype. You all have seen these actions, no?

Anyway, the actions have always bothered me as racist, so I never do them, but I have recently thought maybe I should try to do something other than just not participate. Like see if I can get people to stop doing them entirely. We are teaching this to children, after all. And yet people I know, like, and respect, seem to do the actions as though there is no problem at all. Which puzzles me.

If you are familiar with these actions, do they bother you? And if so, what would you do about it?
Our ward was more enlightened than yours, and we were in primary for three years.

Actually I've never seen those actions of which you speak. Maybe because we've had several Native Americans in primary, maybe not. That must be a Utah thing, and we have little Utah roots.

Don't let your children be racist.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:34 AM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

In honor of this thread, this Sunday I will make sure each of our Primary children know the hand actions to Book of Mormon Stories.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There's a Mormon song where people do a native American war dance while singing about Lamanites? Hee hee. I missed that one.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default You're laughable........again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
There's so much institutional racism in the church that it is hard to know what to get upset about.

I'm more upset about the current YM manual that instructs kids not to marry others of different races.
Holding two fingers up behind your head to signify an indian headress is racist? Then all the Cleveland Indian, Atlanta Braves, FSU Seminoles fans are racist? Even the local indians in Utah were OK with the UofU continuing to use an indian as their mascot........as long as the UofU paid them a 'royalty' if you will, to continue to use the mascot. So racism is ok as long as you pay off the so-called offending party?

BTW........which YM lesson in which manual?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #16
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Correct. They do a war dance along with

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
There's a Mormon song where people do a native American war dance while singing about Lamanites? Hee hee. I missed that one.
peace pipes, scalps, the whole nine yards. Right, Mike?

Old 08-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #17
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Holding two fingers up behind your head to signify an indian headress is racist? Then all the Cleveland Indian, Atlanta Braves, FSU Seminoles fans are racist? Even the local indians in Utah were OK with the UofU continuing to use an indian as their mascot........as long as the UofU paid them a 'royalty' if you will, to continue to use the mascot. So racism is ok as long as you pay off the so-called offending party?

BTW........which YM lesson in which manual?
where have you been? lots of people find those mascots to be racist, yes.

and this is small children in a church.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #18
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
In honor of this thread, this Sunday I will make sure each of our Primary children know the hand actions to Book of Mormon Stories.
you will not be alone. many will do them across the country. the point here is not those who wish perpetuate racism, as you clearly do, but rather what those who want to eradicate it can do about it. I don't really feel okay about sitting there and watching it happen any more. what would you do if your bishop told you to stop teaching them, Tex?

these kinds of tests are typically objective ones--the reasonable person standard if we're talking legal issues. so it doesn't particularly matter what any one person thinks. That's why I was interested in getting a feel for the consensus.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #19
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
While you are at it, teach them the robot motions to "Follow the Prophet".
Old 08-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #20
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
you will not be alone. many will do them across the country. the point here is not those who wish perpetuate racism, as you clearly do, but rather what those who want to eradicate it can do about it. I don't really feel okay about sitting there and watching it happen any more. what would you do if your bishop told you to stop teaching them, Tex?
Yes, I love racism. When I make those little bunny ears during the song, I feel a rush of rank white supremacy.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote