cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2008, 04:56 AM   #11
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Signed,
John D. Lee
Signed,

Korihor
Old 08-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
Like I even know or care who John D. Lee is...I am not even going to waste the time to look it up.

After my trip to the temple last week it has become pretty clear to me...

We have a prophet and first presidency. We have a Q12 apostles. We sustain them as prophet seer and revelators. We believe that they act in gods name and lead the church the same way.

If they are asking us to do it then we need to. Take your personal feelings aside and start paddling with the rest of us.

Believe it or not I opposed it before I went to the temple. I no longer do.
I have to say, I'm changing my mind a little on this too. If I'm not willing to admit that the leaders of the Church might have some insights that I don't, what exactly am I sustaining them as? "Thomas S. Monson, occasional confirmer of my own ideas".

I don't really understand the Church's fixation on this issue; like Mike said, I think there are many more important issues out there. But I also know that I've been wrong about things in the past and that this might well be one of them. Aren't we supposed to follow things once in a while that we don't understand? Do we all claim to really know everything? Fortunately, I'm not involved in this directly, so I don't really have to make a decision.

Comparing this to MMM is a huge stretch in my opinion. The Church is not asking me to do anything that violates my conscience and as soon as the Prophet does, I'll tell him no.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Aren't we supposed to follow things once in a while that we don't understand? Do we all claim to really know everything?
That makes things easier, doesn't it. Have they ever been wrong?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #14
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
That makes things easier, doesn't it. Have they ever been wrong?
Actually, no. It's much easier to assume that I already know everything.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Another one today:

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,514...3,00.html?pg=1

SU will love this quote:

Quote:
"We're just polling — yes or no, not trying to find converts or change people's minds," said Christina Hirst, 28, a photographer with three young children. Hirst and her husband, Justin, 33, a high-school Spanish teacher, said they joined the door-knocking Saturday because they don't want their children hearing about gay relationships at school.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

On how many gay issues can a person or organization be politically inert before they have completely forfeited the moral and political right to object to something in the future?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #17
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think this will be my first ever mullah post...

Most of you guys are idiots and pretty pompous.

I like when members of the church don't agree with things that the current church leadership say about things or the stance that they have, the first thing folks do is go back and grab something that another prophet said previously (because that one fits your agenda) and decide to use that one instead.

We have leadership today. You either sustain them or you don't. It is pretty simple.

You might not agree with it, but you have sustained them and that means you will support them.

You can show me 100 things from previous prophets that you think mean more than the current leadership.

I can show you 100 things previous prophets said that look pretty stupid now.

Which one should we follow? Current leadership. That is why they are here. If we didn't need them and could rely only on the stuff that past prophets have mentioned then the Lord would have closed the heavens.

Glad to know most of you are smarter than the Quorum.
Good comments, Tick.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Tick's comments are funny. He said he didn't support Prop 8 initially. But then he had a spirtiual experience in the temple that made him support it. So far, so good.

But then he comes to the conclusion, that others are not entitled to make their own decision as he has, but they must fall into line, no matter what their consciences dictate, or what personal revelation they have on the matter. And now they are commanded to obey, and must obey.

????

What a frickin' hypocrite.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #19
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I was hoping you would rear your ugly head this morning...

I was in Gospel Doctrine yesterday and we were talking about the Title of Liberty and Capt. Moroni.

If you didn't back his plan you were killed. So you either supported "leadership" or were put to death.

Why?

Because it is only prudent to fight one war. Why fight an enemy abroad while there is a fight going on at home.

You may not like it my friend, but the Lord has worked this way in the past.

He doesn't resort to having people killed anymore, but he has "oppressed" people in the past when he has an agenda.

You are entitled to your opinion. As am I. I only have a problem when you think your opinion is superior to mine. Regardless of who you are and what you do, you and your thoughts are no better than the next man. And you lose major credibility everytime you belittle someone on here.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I was hoping you would rear your ugly head this morning...

I was in Gospel Doctrine yesterday and we were talking about the Title of Liberty and Capt. Moroni.

If you didn't back his plan you were killed. So you either supported "leadership" or were put to death.

Why?

Because it is only prudent to fight one war. Why fight an enemy abroad while there is a fight going on at home.

You may not like it my friend, but the Lord has worked this way in the past.

He doesn't resort to having people killed anymore, but he has "oppressed" people in the past when he has an agenda.

You are entitled to your opinion. As am I. I only have a problem when you think your opinion is superior to mine. Regardless of who you are and what you do, you and your thoughts are no better than the next man. And you lose major credibility everytime you belittle someone on here.
I take the heat, because I am the only one to recognize your hypocrisy and comment on it.

Your rhetoric goes from "I was against Prop 8" to a virtual executioner of those that do not follow along. It's a fascinating conversion from "open-minded" to utter and complete fascist.

You are entitled to your opinion, just as I am. the only difference is that I am not demanding all to follow me, saying that those who don't do what I say have been executed in the past.

Yikes.

Based on your criteria, it's a wonder if you were even worthy to be in the temple at the time you had the revelation that changed your mind and has caused you to demand everyone follow along with you.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote