cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #11
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Orthodox = "right thinking" or "correct thinking"

It doesn't have a negative connotation in general or when its applied to a Mormon subset (although I am sure that for some people it does). It is often contrasted with Orthoprax:

Orthoprax = "right action" or "correct action"

Orthodox as a practical matter does emphasize "behaving correctly" (or being orthoprax) but it also emphasizes "right action" following "right belief." So if you are orthodox then your beliefs are in accordance with what is accepted or authoritatively established as right or correct belief (and right practice follows). Some argue that orthopraxy is far more important in our church than orthodoxy. For example, our labels often emphasize orthopraxy: active versus less active.
I think the internet usage originated from the Jewish community where:

Orthodox Jew = strict observance of the Mosaic laws

contrasted against

Reform Jew = liberal observance of the Mitzvot

So....

Orthodox Mormon = Literal translation of Gold Plates, literal journey across the Pacific or Atlantic for Lehi, literal Adam/Eve, Garden of Eden in Missouri, Zelph, blacks less stellar spirits in pre-existence, God's perfect thus won't create gay people they are gay because they were molested or chose that path via drugs, alcohol and pre-marital sex, et al.

contrasted against

Cougarguard/internet Mormon = Joseph may have written a portion of BOM, historicity of BOM is of no real importance, Adam and Eve are symbols not real persons, Garden of Eden not in Missouri, Zelph was Joseph's imagination and a story to buoy the spirits of the disgruntled, early church leaders were racist, etc.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzebabette View Post
Because the people here think they're smarter than their peers? This board seems pretty typical to me.
Nice first post.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Orthodox Mormon = Literal translation of Gold Plates, literal journey across the Pacific or Atlantic for Lehi, literal Adam/Eve, Garden of Eden in Missouri, Zelph, blacks less stellar spirits in pre-existence, God's perfect thus won't create gay people they are gay because they were molested or chose that path via drugs, alcohol and pre-marital sex, et al.

contrasted against

Cougarguard/internet Mormon = Joseph may have written a portion of BOM, historicity of BOM is of no real importance, Adam and Eve are symbols not real persons, Garden of Eden not in Missouri, Zelph was Joseph's imagination and a story to buoy the spirits of the disgruntled, early church leaders were racist, etc.
Nice post but I'm not crazy your nomenclature.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #14
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I suppose this supports DDD point ... and if these it what most people on the board mean by orthodox then people have a much stronger preference for straw then I had supposed and beelzebabette is probably right.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #15
SeattleUte

Quote:
I suppose this supports DDD point ... and if these it what most people on the board mean by orthodox then people have a much stronger preference for straw then I had supposed and beelzebabette is probably right.
Do you deny that his description of "Orthodox" describes a majority of Mormons? If it doesn't, then Mormonism really has changed in 25 years. I see no evidence that it has.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
BBB is not right. If she were, trust me...she would have already let everyone here know about it....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #17
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Do you deny that his description of "Orthodox" describes a majority of Mormons? If it doesn't, then Mormonism really has changed in 25 years. I see no evidence that it has.
I believe that there is more orthopraxy than orthodoxy within our culture.

We are a people that love to notice what everyone else is doing....and not doing. But internally, we struggle with knowing, we are continually trying to strengthen our testimony and belief system.

I don't like to fast. But I do it. Hence, orthoprax, not orthodox.

Do you think that thousands of LDS teens are obeying the law of chastity (an orthoprax behavior) because they have prayed about it, know it is true and have no desire for physical relations (an orthodox behavior)?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
We all see what we want to see SU.

For instance, I often see you as a bigoted Mormonphobe. The reality is that you are a decent person who only wants what makes you happy. I am in the wrong when I don't see you in that light.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #19
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
In a religious sense orthodox is a belief that one's belief system is right, true, straight. Orthopraxy is a belief that one will attempt to act in the right, true, straight manner regardless the belief system.

SEIQ has excellent thoughts on orthodoxy vs orthopraxy and how it applies to the modern LDS.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #20
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Do you think that thousands of LDS teens are obeying the law of chastity (an orthoprax behavior) because they have prayed about it, know it is true and have no desire for physical relations (an orthodox behavior)?
I think they do it because the alternative is apocalypse. Shame, disgrace and explulsion. Most teens are not ready to kiss off their families for good.

—Paul Auster