cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Well, the entire mission didn't spontaneously come to the realization that using this approach might yield better results than we were seeing, so the program is part of it.

Obviously it takes people to make it actually work, except when those people refuse to do it or simply dismiss it out of hand because they already know what works for them.
You are still stuck in the "people should be making a program work" way of thinking. Programs should work for people. They should at least attempt to account for some variation in ability, personality--you know--talents? This program didn't do that at all. It assumed that we would be drones, that we would all be more or less capable/incapable, and that our sense of guilt would rule the day. It was a bad show all around.

Expecting that every member is suited to a particular approach, and then belittling those who aren't, or worse, trying to make them feel guilty in a spiritual sense, just might be part of the problem.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not attacking you SIEQ, so I hope you don't read this that way.

Over the years this website has had many people voice criticism that the church has notoriously been behind the times concerning our ever-evolving society. To that end, it seems to me that implementing new missionary ideas and programs is an effort to keep up with the times, to do what should better work today. Yet when these new ideas are introduced, the members roll their eyes and groan.

I wonder if the left is criticizing anything that appears traditional, while the right criticizes anything that appears new, and I mesh the two groups together and conclude that whatever the church does, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Perhaps I served my mission too many years ago to remember; or perhaps it was called something else than; or perhaps it never even existed when I was out in the field; or more likely, I simply ignored it; I just have no idea what The Missionary Guide is.
It looked like this, but in English. I believe it was first brought into use in the 80's, but I can't remember exactly. Preach My Gospel replaced it (as well as the standard 6-lesson discussions) a few years ago.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #14
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I'm not attacking you SIEQ, so I hope you don't read this that way.

Over the years this website has had many people voice criticism that the church has notoriously been behind the times concerning our ever-evolving society. To that end, it seems to me that implementing new missionary ideas and programs is an effort to keep up with the times, to do what should better work today. Yet when these new ideas are introduced, the members roll their eyes and groan.

I wonder if the left is criticizing anything that appears traditional, while the right criticizes anything that appears new, and I mesh the two groups together and conclude that whatever the church does, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.
A good comment. It reminds me of Emerson's assertion that, "Conservativism makes no poetry, breathes no prayer, has no invention; it is all memory. Reform has no gratitude, no prudence, no husbandry. It makes a great difference to your figure and to your thought, whether your foot is advancing or receding."

I'm all for new--if it actually has a place for me to plug in my talents. This program didn't do that, and in that sense it wasn't new at all. My most recent reply to Indy elaborates more of my POV.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #15
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I didn't listen in the sense that when they tried to commit me to having one of my friends for a first discussion within two weeks, I knew I wasn't cut out for it.
I probably wouldn't be able to do that. If they wanted, I could probably bring a friend to a church activity or church, and if the missionaries wanted to be there and approach them, I could.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #16
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Perhaps I served my mission too many years ago to remember; or perhaps it was called something else than; or perhaps it never even existed when I was out in the field; or more likely, I simply ignored it; I just have no idea what The Missionary Guide is.
I will find my copy. It should be easy to find since I got back from my mission in '93 and haven't unpacked my suitcase yet! I firmly believe in the saying, "Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now".
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #17
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Does everyone remember the one assignment in the Missionary Guide that asked us to make a list of qualities that we wanted in a future spouse? I always found that one to be fun.

I also liked studying with greenies because it would amaze them how quickly I could discern their concerns when we would role play...

Me: "Your concern is that you believe in the first 5 books of Moses...the Pentateuch....but you have a hard time believing in the rest of the scriptures. You don't believe in modern revelation, either."

New Missionary: "Wow, How did you know that?"

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #18
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

The Missionary Guide was pure comedy gold. Gold!!!

"I've done my two years Elders. Missionary work is your problem."
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #19
Hazzard

Hazzard

"Wow ... you have a lot of tennis trophies here on your mantel. You must be a great player!"
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:56 AM   #20
Jim Swarthout

Jim Swarthout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
The Missionary Guide was pure comedy gold. Gold!!!

"I've done my two years Elders. Missionary work is your problem."
Most missionaries never took the time to listen to the MG tapes, but those things were comedy gold times 80. There was always one elder who talked like he had a retainer in his mouth.