cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #11
barnes

barnes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Gays pay taxes too, why wouldn't they be entitled to the same benefits?
I pay taxes but I can't drive in the car-pool. I have no one to car-pool with to work and I can't afford a hybrid at this time. Seams unfair.
barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
What do you mean?
What do I mean?

There would be more social security benefits to eventually be paid out. To do that, taxes would have to increase.

My understanding is that homosexuals have more physical/mental health problems. For those who would need access to medicaid/medicare, the only way to pay for that would be to increase taxes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Society has an interest in preserving marriage (however bastardized it might be in places like Las Vegas, etc.), thus it provides incentives and official recognition for it.

Same reason in reverse why I oppose permitting homosexuals to marry.
if there were such an overriding benefit to society for government to preserve marriage, then we'd be able to establish it through sociological and other social science studies.

Government probably shouldn't be involved, and if marriage is to be preserved it will be through the personal choices of individuals and subcultures, not government intervention.

Religion needs to reclaim it from government which bastardizes everything it gets its hands on. If you want to f.. something up, involve our f...ing government.

A movement to remove it from government would be a step to purifying it, to protecting it.

The grounds for "preserving" it seem ethereal, not real.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree with you on the fatigue. This topic has been beaten down this past week, but it will be replaced by a new topic.

I am taking a SWAG here, but one possible reason 2 gays care about marriage is because they love each other? Also, they want to be treated equally. Again, those are just swags.

Your suggestion, which I believe is actually creekster's suggestion and since ripped off multiple times, is fine. It actually makes the most sense. Religious arguments for amendments to state constitutions are inappropriate.
I really don't care if two straights or two gays love each other. It benefits me not.

A hetero female, to whom I am also attracted, wants me, then it benefits me. Otherwise, it probably was always a bad idea.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #15
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
if there were such an overriding benefit to society for government to preserve marriage, then we'd be able to establish it through sociological and other social science studies.

Government probably shouldn't be involved, and if marriage is to be preserved it will be through the personal choices of individuals and subcultures, not government intervention.

Religion needs to reclaim it from government which bastardizes everything it gets its hands on. If you want to f.. something up, involve our f...ing government.

A movement to remove it from government would be a step to purifying it, to protecting it.

The grounds for "preserving" it seem ethereal, not real.
It's no secret I'm no great fan of government, but like it or not, its very nature (especially in a democracy) does make it an active participant in setting/guiding/establishing societal standards.

I'm curious what "sociological and other social science studies" you think would be as effective in preserving marriage as 200 years of established legal and governmental custom.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #16
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes View Post
I pay taxes but I can't drive in the car-pool. I have no one to car-pool with to work and I can't afford a hybrid at this time. Seams unfair.
What does paying taxes have to do with being able to drive in the car-pool lane?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #17
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I really don't care if two straights or two gays love each other. It benefits me not.

A hetero female, to whom I am also attracted, wants me, then it benefits me. Otherwise, it probably was always a bad idea.
You asked why gays care about marriage. I gave you reasons. Your response is that gay marriage doesn't benefit you.

I am confused.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
What do I mean?

There would be more social security benefits to eventually be paid out. To do that, taxes would have to increase.

My understanding is that homosexuals have more physical/mental health problems. For those who would need access to medicaid/medicare, the only way to pay for that would be to increase taxes.
Arent these gays currently paying SS taxes in their paychecks, just like heterosexuals that are married?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 07-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #19
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arent these gays currently paying SS taxes in their paychecks, just like heterosexuals that are married?
TripletD must have me on ignore. Dude...
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
TripletD must have me on ignore. Dude...
Ha. whoops. my bad.

Your point was so salient that it just had to be repeated.