cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I've seen this in every multi-billion dollar firm I've worked for.

I haven't seen it in any of the firms I have worked for. Of course I have only worked for four multi-billion dollar firms.

Mind you I am not against the idea. I think individual rights and freedoms are way over valued.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've seen this in every multi-billion dollar firm I've worked for.
The line seems pretty blurred between Gods church and a muti-billion dollar firm.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
The line seems pretty blurred between Gods church and a muti-billion dollar firm.

I actually think you would find the reportable offenses to be quite different between the CES and a mulit-billion dollar firm.

The thing that would scare me if I worked for the church vs a multi-billion dollar firm is the number of fanatics that are watching my every step. Added to that the number of those who receive these reports that are also fanatics and would weigh the reporting.

While there are tons of great people who work in the church system, I find it is also a place where those types I am least comfortable associating with might gravitate to also.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
How so? The church is a multi-billion dollar entity. It's a lot easier for a small, one office company to be aware of the ongoings of its employees than a multi-billion dollar, multi-thousand employee company with offices all over the world.

Right or wrong, it's an attempt to give people an avenue to stop corporate wrongdoing without suffering whistleblower repercussions.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How so? The church is a multi-billion dollar entity. It's a lot easier for a small, one office company to be aware of the ongoings of its employees than a multi-billion dollar, multi-thousand employee company with offices all over the world.

Right or wrong, it's an attempt to give people an avenue to stop corporate wrongdoing without suffering whistleblower repercussions.
If it's used for harassment, fraud or embezzlement, then I can see why it's in place. If it's used to report somebody drinking Coke, then it is an abomination.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #16
BYU71

Quote:

Honestly Indy, do you really think the policy in the church is to stop corporate wrongdoing?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #17
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Honestly Indy, do you really think the policy in the church is to stop corporate wrongdoing?
Give me the full text of the Church's official policy and I'll give you an answer. I'm just saying that having a "whistleblower policy" is hardly without precedent and it's hardly surprising.

I haven't weighed in on whether the church's policy (assuming it actually exists) is right or wrong.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll bet when CES employees talk to each other and they don't know each other well, they completely toe the line to make sure that the other doesn't think they could ever be a troublemaker.

I once heard two CES religion teachers speak to each other about recent General Conference. It was amusing to me. I had thought it was kind of boring and predictable. They talked like Christ had come and delivered an address himself.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'll bet when CES employees talk to each other and they don't know each other well, they completely toe the line to make sure that the other doesn't think they could ever be a troublemaker.

I once heard two CES religion teachers speak to each other about recent General Conference. It was amusing to me. I had thought it was kind of boring and predictable. They talked like Christ had come and delivered an address himself.
Our bishop is CES, and although he would speak the rhetoric, he is very practical.

He doesn't make broad pronouncements, he doesn't act like a mullah, and he is genuinely a good bishop. He may come across boring but he's just cautious.

IOW, he's pragmatic.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #20
BYU71

Quote:
Give me the full text of the Church's official policy and I'll give you an answer. I'm just saying that having a "whistleblower policy" is hardly without precedent and it's hardly surprising.

I haven't weighed in on whether the church's policy (assuming it actually exists) is right or wrong.
I definitely could be wrong. I am just assuming that "reporting" wrong doing in the CES is different than "reporting" wrong doing in multi-billion dollar corporations.

Perhaps your comparisons are fairer and all this is is whistle blowing on people who are committing fraud at both places.