cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2008, 01:31 AM   #11
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
If I as a straight man feel the urge and desire to bang every hot woman I see, because I was "born that way" it doesn't justify acting upon those feelings and urges.
True, but psychologically you are able to fall back on the peace of mind that comes with knowing that someday you will experience heterosexual marital sex. Your loins of fury will eventually be quenched. Homosexuals face an eternal fast of sorts, and do so in a society where sex, sex, sex is everywhere: in the media, in frequent conversations at the workplace, in every third CougarGuard thread, etc.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #12
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=NorCal Cat;222138]After reading the page I linked to the Church web site, it appears the Church's position is that the origin of same attraction is irrelevant. Everyone has feelings, impulses, desires, etc. to do things or behave in ways that are sinful. This does not mean one must act upon these feelings or desires. They point out that it is contrary to God's laws that man would be tempted or born with feelings so strong to act in such a way that he could not withstand them, and turn away from the sinful act.

If I as a straight man feel the urge and desire to bang every hot woman I see, because I was "born that way" it doesn't justify acting upon those feelings and urges.

This is definitely a complicated topic.[/QUOTE

It definitely is a complicated issue. I draw the line at acting upon it. My brother fought it and still couldn't "overcome it." We tend to forget that in accepting the opportunity to recieve a mortal body, we are delt a set of mortal afflictions/conditions that are through no choice of our own. Take a look at every "Butch" looking woman out there, or feminine looking man (I'm not referring to drag, but physical features). They are in a truly hellish situation.

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #13
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
True, but psychologically you are able to fall back on the peace of mind that comes with knowing that someday you will experience heterosexual marital sex. Your loins of fury will eventually be quenched. Homosexuals face an eternal fast of sorts, and do so in a society where sex, sex, sex is everywhere: in the media, in frequent conversations at the workplace, in every third CougarGuard thread, etc.
Not all heterosexuals get married though, and they are supposed to remain celebate also.

Homosexuals face an eternal fast? This presumes they will always have homosexual urges to supress and overcome, even in the hereafter. I reject this presumption.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #14
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Not all heterosexuals get married though, and they are supposed to remain celebate also. Homosexuals face an eternal fast? This presumes they will always have homosexual urges to supress and overcome, even in the hereafter. I reject this presumption.
Couldn't have said it any better.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:05 PM   #15
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been taught that mortality is the time to learn to control our passions and appetites, because our addictions will follow us into the spirit world. That it is 10x easier to overcome through self control while we have bodies, than it will be when he have only spirits.

I'm paraphrasing. Does that concept ring a bell?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #16
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This is definitely a complicated topic.

But we don't try to make this illegal, do we?
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #17
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Not all heterosexuals get married though, and they are supposed to remain celebate also.

Homosexuals face an eternal fast? This presumes they will always have homosexual urges to supress and overcome, even in the hereafter. I reject this presumption.
This kills me. You defend your bigotry by dismissively waving a hand and saying God will sort it out in the hereafter. If you want to believe that bullshit, then fine. But how do you expect other people to be bound by that same narrow thinking? What if your audience is a gay person who doesn't believe in God, let alone a hereafter? If the Church wants to publish proclamations and tells its members that homosexuality is a sin, then that's fine, I guess. But it shouldn't use its political weight to influence legislation that affects the lives of people who aren't Mormon and don't wish to be bound its proclamations. It's arrogant, and its wrong.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #18
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
This kills me. You defend your bigotry by dismissively waving a hand and saying God will sort it out in the hereafter. If you want to believe that bullshit, then fine. But how do you expect other people to be bound by that same narrow thinking? What if your audience is a gay person who doesn't believe in God, let alone a hereafter? If the Church wants to publish proclamations and tells its members that homosexuality is a sin, then that's fine, I guess. But it shouldn't use its political weight to influence legislation that affects the lives of people who aren't Mormon and don't wish to be bound its proclamations. It's arrogant, and its wrong.
You're crazy. The Church is politically neutral.....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote