cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2008, 04:19 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Someone emailed me this video of him singing to the contestants during the show's first year. He looks very young and sounds like a woman but man, he can sing.

Yeah, I think he was 11 years old in that clip. The girl in the red hat is Kelly Clarkson.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #12
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
So you folks know, his dad wrote the arrangement of Imagine that he sang.
For the musical handicaps like myself, what does that mean? I would guess it means his dad mixed John Lennon's song up a bit, right? I'm a little confused b/c I saw/heard the performance but didn't notice any difference from the original.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
For the musical handicaps like myself, what does that mean? I would guess it means his dad mixed John Lennon's song up a bit, right? I'm a little confused b/c I saw/heard the performance but didn't notice any difference from the original.
My way to define "arrangement" would be that his dad took the song as it was originally written, and then made some adjustments so it would sound as if it was written specifically for an acoustic guitar.

The melody that was sung by David was the same, but the accompaniment in Lennon's song was the piano and a few other instruments. In the arrangement that David sang, there was only the guitar to accompany him.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:56 AM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I'm just enjoying watching Rocky tell people to watch AI after he's hated that show as much as I have since its existence. He knows the same kid.
Guilty as charged. Since I know the kid it's the ONLY reason why I'm watching this season.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:08 AM   #15
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
of one of the players on (one) of the baseball teams I coach is singing on American Idol tonight. The kid's name is David Archuleta.

I will be watching this show for the first time ever. Well, he sings someone in the house will tell me that he's on and I'll switch the channel.
Is the kid LDS? Active LDS?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:17 AM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Is the kid LDS? Active LDS?
Yes. Very active.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:20 AM   #17
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is his performance of Imagine. If you want to skip past the opening comments, it starts at 1:04.

Simon has him pegged as the favorite to win it all. The only other time he picked a winner this early in the competition was with Carrie Underwood three years ago.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:51 AM   #18
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
of one of the players on (one) of the baseball teams I coach is singing on American Idol tonight. The kid's name is David Archuleta.

I will be watching this show for the first time ever. Well, he sings someone in the house will tell me that he's on and I'll switch the channel.
Il Pad, having met David's dad, what is your take on this article?
http://www.nationalledger.com/artman...72619438.shtml

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:13 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
Il Pad, having met David's dad, what is your take on this article?
http://www.nationalledger.com/artman...72619438.shtml

That article is a bunch of crap. Jeff Archuleta is nothing like what he is portrayed in that tripe.

If Jeff is guilty of anything, it's of depriving his kids from listening to wide variety of music. He's a music snob - if it isn't The Beatles, jazz, a few select Broadway scores, some classical or Stevie Wonder, it isn't played in their house.

Other than that, Jeff is a great guy who cares about his kids' best interest. My guess is that Jeff won't allow some of the shadier types in Hollywood get to David and this online entertainment magazine is just the type that Jeff doesn't want people like that around.

Can't say I blame him.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:24 AM   #20
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That article is a bunch of crap. Jeff Archuleta is nothing like what he is portrayed in that tripe.

If Jeff is guilty of anything, it's of depriving his kids from listening to wide variety of music. He's a music snob - if it isn't The Beatles, jazz, a few select Broadway scores, some classical or Stevie Wonder, it isn't played in their house.

Other than that, Jeff is a great guy who cares about his kids' best interest. My guess is that Jeff won't allow some of the shadier types in Hollywood get to David and this online entertainment magazine is just the type that Jeff doesn't want people like that around.

Can't say I blame him.
Thats what I figured, thanks.

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote