cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a great story SC. Don't let the hataz get you down.

To the question you posed, I'll add the possibility that it's just a freaky coincidence.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #12
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
That's a great story SC. Don't let the hataz get you down.

To the question you posed, I'll add the possibility that it's just a freaky coincidence.
Oh yeah. That's true. And maybe she shared this testimony with people all the time. But it really did feel like something special. Everybody in the class thought it was an act of God that she told this story just before she died.

I'll bet SeattleUte would vote for the "Book of Mormon lecture contributed to her death" option.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Rather than question your motives, Sooner, or be a 'nay-sayer,' I'll comment on your original postulate regarding "premonitions."

Perhaps she did have a subliminal surge to her brain which motivated her to share her history with relative strangers.

There are numerous stories of canines that are able to sense earthquakes prior to rumble. Just recently I saw a news story about a dog in a home for the elderly who would sit on the bed of the next person in the home to die. The dog was on a roll, going like 14 for 14 over the past couple of years.

Had this girl's premonition been more explicit to her mind, my guess is she would have dispensed with the "...marriage and children" comment and wrapped up her participation in the class in time to call her family one last time.

Who knows?

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I'm curious as to the motivation behind posting this story. I'm not sure it means anything, except that an apparantly good person passed away. It's sad in terms of her friends or family, and potentially good for her (and potentially those she knew) eternal salvation. I really don't understand why there has to be a lesson in the events for anyone else...

That said, here's a completely unrelated story for you.

-A person I know was attending courses at BYU. (personally, I was surprised this particular individual got into BYU, but that's not really the point.) He walked into class one day, obviously distracted. It was a VERY cold day. When he walked into the classroom, which was unusually warm, he stopped, looked up and said (in an otherwise silent classroom) "Oh shit! It's F___ing hot in here!"

He proceeded to realize where he was, look around the room at the scandalized-looking females & the laughing males (note this is a generalization - I'm sure at least one of the females was laughing), turned around and walked back to his car, leaving the campus.

As a side-note, I believe that was his last semester attending BYU.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #15
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I'm curious as to the motivation behind posting this story.
Discussion about premonitions, and about what might have transpired that day (from a spiritual perspective). I thought that was obvious. Tex and Indy are trying to undermine my spiritual message.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #16
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by malapert View Post
Rather than question your motives, Sooner, or be a 'nay-sayer,' I'll comment on your original postulate regarding "premonitions."

Perhaps she did have a subliminal surge to her brain which motivated her to share her history with relative strangers.

There are numerous stories of canines that are able to sense earthquakes prior to rumble. Just recently I saw a news story about a dog in a home for the elderly who would sit on the bed of the next person in the home to die. The dog was on a roll, going like 14 for 14 over the past couple of years.

Had this girl's premonition been more explicit to her mind, my guess is she would have dispensed with the "...marriage and children" comment and wrapped up her participation in the class in time to call her family one last time.

Who knows?

It was a cat, actually. Check it out here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959718/

Or, if you prefer, google "Oscar the death-sensing cat".

At any rate, I believe people often sense future events in many different ways, although they rarely realize it at the time.

Still, I think it's a stretch trying to assign premonition to this case. IMO, it's much more likely that she felt prompted by the spirit to share that testimony. The purpose behind the sharing is impossible to determine, and hence not worthy of much thought.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #17
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Discussion about premonitions, and about what might have transpired that day (from a spiritual perspective). I thought that was obvious. Tex and Indy are trying to undermine my spiritual message.
Fair enough. See my posts above about premonitions. And also my opinions on the value of the story in terms of such.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #18
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
The purpose behind the sharing is impossible to determine, and hence not worthy of much thought.
Maybe we should go back to asking why God tortured Job to win a bet with Satan and asked Abraham to murder his own son. I'm trying to mix things up a bit. Nothing wrong with a little speculation.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #19
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Our bishop in Idaho had terminal leukemia. Towards the end of his battle, he got permission to leave the hospital to baptize his 8 year old son. After the baptism, as soon as he got out of the font, he collapsed and died.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #20
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Maybe we should go back to asking why God tortured Job to win a bet with Satan and asked Abraham to murder his own son. I'm trying to mix things up a bit. Nothing wrong with a little speculation.
That argument held considerably less value than this one. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I doubt premonition, defined as a glimpse of a future event, had anything to do with the sharing of her testimony.

That's not to say that the testimony wasn't inspired by God, and that it wasn't a special event. In fact, given the particulars of the story, it's not unlikely that God allowed the girl to live SPECIFICALLY FOR that testimony.

Again, the exact purposes are impossible to determine. It's likely more productive to consider the effects the event had on your personal relationship with the spirit...