cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2008, 03:23 AM   #11
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The ones you list haven't run qua Evangelicals per se. Bush, for example, is not necessarily as associated with any denomination as Romney or Huckabee. His father was originally a Protestant mainliner. They talk the God talk in a way that's ecumenical and pleasing to Mornons. Huckabee and Romney respectively ran as an Evangelical and a Mormon.

Now, before you remonstrate, let me say that Romney embraced the "Romney the Mormon candidate" label the day he decided to pander to the Evangelicals. He made religion an issue because basically abortion, gay marriage, and anit-immigration is all they care about. He only compounded this with his religion speech. He could have run like McCain and made religion a non-issue by being moderate on social issues like he did in Massachusettes. In that case his religion would have been a non-issue, and the Evangelicals would still have hated him like they do anyway.
You are reaching for justification just as the press has reached ... they do not like him and will not vote for him for no other reason than he is Mormon.

He COULD NOT HAVE RUN as ANYTHING but a Moromon -such abject naivity is oustounding.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:25 AM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For Mormons it's all about supporting the tribe.
Yes. And if we are honest, we will admit that we really wanted Mitt to go all of the way because it would have been the ultimate validation of Mormonism. We crave acceptance by the "outside world" and this brought us so tantalizingly close. Hence the meltdown that we are witnessing on CB today.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yes. And if we are honest, we will admit that we really wanted Mitt to go all of the way because it would have been the ultimate validation of Mormonism. We crave acceptance by the "outside world" and this brought us so tantalizingly close. Hence the meltdown that we are witnessing on CB today.
Didn't play much into my decision, frankly. I came to Romney more by way of default than anything else. The rank bigotry in the south disappoints me, but it's honestly more weird to me that they voted for a guy who has zero chance of capturing the nomination than anything else.

Can we at least now say that Cali's prediction of a Romney candidacy can go down with his Gonzales prediction?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:10 AM   #14
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
but it's honestly more weird to me that they voted for a guy who has zero chance of capturing the nomination than anything else.
Sometimes people can't identify their own self interests. Sometimes they cut off their noses to spite their faces. See Ross Perot. Boy did the people who voted for that guy ever show the rest of us.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #15
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Didn't play much into my decision, frankly. I came to Romney more by way of default than anything else. The rank bigotry in the south disappoints me, but it's honestly more weird to me that they voted for a guy who has zero chance of capturing the nomination than anything else.

Can we at least now say that Cali's prediction of a Romney candidacy can go down with his Gonzales prediction?
NOW you are saying Romney is finished? He is still in 2nd place, and McCain is only half way to the nomination. Romney has the most money and the best organization. To say he is finished is premature, IMO.

And why are you criticizing the south for voting for Huckabee because he "has zero chance of capturing the nomination?" You seem to be clearly indicating you think Romney has zero chance, and yet you voted for Romney. Does that make you a blind religious zealot too?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:54 AM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
NOW you are saying Romney is finished? He is still in 2nd place, and McCain is only half way to the nomination. Romney has the most money and the best organization. To say he is finished is premature, IMO.
After tonight people will be saying Huck is the no. 2 republican. This was like the last phase of Rome vs. Carthage. Romney was routed.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:56 AM   #17
Cali Coug

Quote:
After tonight people will be saying Huck is the no. 2 republican. This was like the last phase of Rome vs. Carthage. Romney was routed.
Huck is definitely not the no. 2 now. He has clearly shown an inability to win anywhere outside of the south (except for the very odd situation in W. Virginia).

Tonight was a bad night for Romney, but he can survive it. If Huck stays in, he will likely lose the nomination in convention.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:57 AM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Huck is definitely not the no. 2 now. He has clearly shown an inability to win anywhere outside of the south (except for the very odd situation in W. Virginia).
Tex is right. People can now say your prediction that Romney would win was wrong.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:58 AM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

tonight is a huge, huge disappointment for Romney.

It will literally take an act of God for him to win, and that act would prove God to be a Mormon, I might add.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:04 AM   #20
Cali Coug

Quote:
Tex is right. People can now say your prediction that Romney would win was wrong.
The jury is still out on your Giuliani prediction.