cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I tried out for 3 game shows. All were trivia related.

I was actually on a game show once. It didn't end badly, but it didn't end as well as I wanted.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I was actually on a game show once. It didn't end badly, but it didn't end as well as I wanted.
Cr33k5t3r!

Which one were you on?

That is really cool, win or lose.

Did you at least walk away with some lovely parting gifts? A White's metal detector? Years supply of rice-a-roni?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A friend of mine at BYU (actually I used to home teach him) was on Wheel of Fortune. He was one of the most academic guys that I've ever known, but as far as street smarts goes, he was a few screws short.

Well, he struggled through the first couple of rounds, getting shut out by the bankrupt slot. The third round he really took control and had a bankload of money built up. The board, as displayed by the lovely Vanna, said "Katie Couric and Matt _auer". He's never watched a day of "The Today Show" in his life and was lucky to get Katie's name right.

So he's dying up there, eventually guessing an "s" and losing the round and the game.

He becomes a celebrity of sorts, thanks to his little nationally televised gaffe, making appearances on the Today Show, David Letterman and Oprah Winfrey. Then his 15 minutes were up and he went back to computer programming and re-runs of Star Trek, the Next Genereation.

But he did get some lovely parting gifts, including a Wheel of Fortune board game and a full camping gear set-up.This for the guy who hadn't camped since he was in the Deacons quorum.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #14
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
DDD you're a pop culture fiend. Have you considered a career as one of those people who make snarky comments on those VH1 "I love the 80's" type shows?
I call those "documentaries for retards".
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I tried out for 3 game shows. All were trivia related.
My little brother was on "Win Ben Stein's Money". He beat Ben and won $5,000.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:33 PM   #16
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
computer programming and re-runs of Star Trek, the Next Genereation.
Welcome to my life
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:10 AM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Cr33k5t3r!

Which one were you on?

That is really cool, win or lose.

Did you at least walk away with some lovely parting gifts? A White's metal detector? Years supply of rice-a-roni?

I tried out for the show to impress a girl I was dating. I made it and she didn't. It was called Sale of the Century, with host Jim Perry. I was kicking butt on the show, clearly in first place. Then they had a question (something along the lines of the daily double on Jeopardy) that only the leader could answer and the leader could wager his money so far. So I arrogantly wagered all of it. The host said "What are gluttony, avarice . . ." and I buzzed in and said "The Seven Sins, Jim."

Now what you can't see at home is that behind Jim was this big wall of lights. Whenever you got a question correct it flashed a big green check mark. Whenever you were wrong it flashed a big red X, but this time there was something new. Jim said "I need more information, creekster" and suddenly a big yellow question mark started flashing. I froze. It was awful. I knew I had left a word out but all I could see or think of was that stupid huge yellow question mark. Suddenly my time was up, the judges buzzed, and Jim said, in a kind way, "oooh, I am sorry creekster, the correct answer is the seven DEADLY sins" emphasizing the word deadly so as to let me know I was a total moron. I lost all my money. From first to last just like that.

I just sat their in disbelief for the next few questions. My cheeks were burning and I just wanted to leave. I suddenly got over it, however, and made a mad dash to answer more questions. I charged back into second and almost got to first, but not quite. So I got to keep my winnings (something less than $100) and a bunch of lovely parting gifts, including a case of tuna helper, a case of tuna, 2 cases of Cheerios and a bunch of cooking utensils, all of which were very useful to my college student budget.

I was so embarrassed by my performance that I didn't tell anyone that I had been taped on the show. It was a few weeks later that I realized just how many of my Friends and family were lazy lay abouts, however, because I received at least 15, and I am not exaggerating, phone calls from people on the day the stupid thing aired saying they had seen me on TV. Why weren't they in class or at work or watching a MASH rerun or doing something productive? Hard to say. I even had several people come up to me later and say they had seen someone that looked just like me on TV and wondered if it was actually me. Who are these people that pay so much attention to a daytime game show? Ironically, between the time it was taped and it aired, I quit dating that girl. C'est La Vie.

Is anyone still reading?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:03 AM   #18
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I tried out for the show to impress a girl I was dating. I made it and she didn't. It was called Sale of the Century, with host Jim Perry. I was kicking butt on the show, clearly in first place. Then they had a question (something along the lines of the daily double on Jeopardy) that only the leader could answer and the leader could wager his money so far. So I arrogantly wagered all of it. The host said "What are gluttony, avarice . . ." and I buzzed in and said "The Seven Sins, Jim."

Now what you can't see at home is that behind Jim was this big wall of lights. Whenever you got a question correct it flashed a big green check mark. Whenever you were wrong it flashed a big red X, but this time there was something new. Jim said "I need more information, creekster" and suddenly a big yellow question mark started flashing. I froze. It was awful. I knew I had left a word out but all I could see or think of was that stupid huge yellow question mark. Suddenly my time was up, the judges buzzed, and Jim said, in a kind way, "oooh, I am sorry creekster, the correct answer is the seven DEADLY sins" emphasizing the word deadly so as to let me know I was a total moron. I lost all my money. From first to last just like that.

I just sat their in disbelief for the next few questions. My cheeks were burning and I just wanted to leave. I suddenly got over it, however, and made a mad dash to answer more questions. I charged back into second and almost got to first, but not quite. So I got to keep my winnings (something less than $100) and a bunch of lovely parting gifts, including a case of tuna helper, a case of tuna, 2 cases of Cheerios and a bunch of cooking utensils, all of which were very useful to my college student budget.

I was so embarrassed by my performance that I didn't tell anyone that I had been taped on the show. It was a few weeks later that I realized just how many of my Friends and family were lazy lay abouts, however, because I received at least 15, and I am not exaggerating, phone calls from people on the day the stupid thing aired saying they had seen me on TV. Why weren't they in class or at work or watching a MASH rerun or doing something productive? Hard to say. I even had several people come up to me later and say they had seen someone that looked just like me on TV and wondered if it was actually me. Who are these people that pay so much attention to a daytime game show? Ironically, between the time it was taped and it aired, I quit dating that girl. C'est La Vie.

Is anyone still reading?
That is a great story, Cre34k. Seriously.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:29 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. That's an awesome story. It one-ups my story about being on Romper Room when I was 4 years old.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:58 AM   #20
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Cr33k5t3r, I totally remember "$ale of the Century." That one was a staple on summertime mornings while eating cereal. Yours is a great tale of victory, defeat, and redemption. You have more than earned your pop culture street cred. Nice.

As for IPU, what hasnt he done? Romper Room? Were you a Don't Bee or a Do Bee? Did that woman say your name at the end of the episode while looking through the magnifying glass? "I see Timmy, and Suzy, and John, and Il Padrino Ute...."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote