cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
economics? Is there a group of Americans less likely to support healthcare for the poor, disabled, children, elderly? Is there a group more likely to be against any progressive tax system?

I think hard times are coming for many members, when they are actually asked to give up all their material possessions, as many of them have promised (at least superficially) to do.
This troll bait is so childishly poor; it's not even your best effort.

However, with that caveat, consider the premise faulty. Mormons are by and large frugal and government is not frugal.

Mormons when they examine social programs don't object that the truly needy receive government support. What they object to, are the excessive employment of civil servants to address these issues, the lack of oversight and the naked attempt these are to buy voter groups.

I would object to your crass characterization of Mormons as economically conservative with regards to government spending programs. Instead, Mormons are financially frugal and astute, managing their affair better than the government manages its affairs. To wit, the LDS welfare program, though fraught with human error, is still much more efficient in rendering care and assistance to its recipients than many government programs. In short, LDS abhor waste and the costs of paying for waste. Liberals on the other hand gift short notice to waste and intend to palm off that waste on others.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I would object to your crass characterization of Mormons as economically conservative with regards to government spending programs. Instead, Mormons are financially frugal and astute, managing their affair better than the government manages its affairs. To wit, the LDS welfare program, though fraught with human error, is still much more efficient in rendering care and assistance to its recipients than many government programs. In short, LDS abhor waste and the costs of paying for waste. Liberals on the other hand gift short notice to waste and intend to palm off that waste on others.
actually I don't agree with you. If the average member was aware to what their fast offerings were going to locally, I don't think they would be so quick to despise those that receive "handouts". Lots of food is given. But also lots of cash, often on an on-going basis. Without nearly the checks, balances, vetting, and follow-up for a govt. program.

Just my opinion. But you guys live in rich wards where no one probably gets assistance.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What my dad said, in some respects, wasn't Mormon. But it certainly was Christian.
I don't think you're giving enough credit to the Mormon credo of helping our fellow man. We are a generous people. There are numerous examples where LDS have stretched themselves to help others. Senior missionaries are doing some incredible work in destitute parts of the world. Without fanfare, they're lending their life skills to bring infrastructure to places that currently don't have it. That you don't see it may speak more to the humility of the service as opposed to the lack thereof.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #14
Archaea

Quote:
actually I don't agree with you. If the average member was aware to what their fast offerings were going to locally, I don't think they would be so quick to despise those that receive "handouts". Lots of food is given. But also lots of cash, often on an on-going basis. Without nearly the checks, balances, vetting, and follow-up for a govt. program.

Just my opinion. But you guys live in rich wards where no one probably gets assistance.
Troll.

Having knowledge of our ward finances, our ward receives more assistance from the stake than it provides. We have widows, divorced single parents, those without jobs and those with substance abuse problems and young single parents.

I wager my ward spends more in assistance than your ward. WE have persons who very, very generously give to support these members.

Again members do not generally resent recipients, although the "welfare family" may be looked down upon. I mean the general welfare family of the Appalachians where government assistance has been translated into government captivity.

But generally members disdain the execution of the premise, not the premise of assistance and the thought that needy receive assistance. In fact, I wager members favor the needy receiving assistance more than the average citizen, perhaps not more than the average college professor in Ivory Tower land, but more than the average redneck or schmuck.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I don't think you're giving enough credit to the Mormon credo of helping our fellow man. We are a generous people. There are numerous examples where LDS have stretched themselves to help others. Senior missionaries are doing some incredible work in destitute parts of the world. Without fanfare, they're lending their life skills to bring infrastructure to places that currently don't have it. That you don't see it may speak more to the humility of the service as opposed to the lack thereof.
I know we believe it in general and in theory. It's just that it usually doesn't extend to anything past bringing meals to the sister who just gave birth, and helping families move.

Senior missionaries? Church is having a real hard time getting people to go. In fact, in our stake, the stake president has played hardball trying to get people to go. Since no is volunteering.

In the church, the act of being an active member is considered service enough, I would argue.

You will find many, many other Christian churches that are MORE service-oriented.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You have no idea where we have lived and of those whom we have served, as meager as our help may have been.

I know you're trolling, but you're offensive as well.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #17
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
economics? Is there a group of Americans less likely to support healthcare for the poor, disabled, children, elderly? Is there a group more likely to be against any progressive tax system?
Yes, Mormons as a group are more opposed to helping the oppressed than any other group. That's why they surrender 10%+ of their incomes, including fast offerings, Perpetual Education, missionary efforts, humanitarian efforts, etc. Because we hate poor, disabled, elderly children.

Where does this self-loathing come from, Mike? Does it come naturally?

Quote:
I think hard times are coming for many members, when they are actually asked to give up all their material possessions, as many of them have promised (at least superficially) to do.
Yes. Only Mormons have that problem.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 01-08-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
You have no idea where we have lived and of those whom we have served, as meager as our help may have been.

I know you're trolling, but you're offensive as well.
Sorry, I mean everyone but you.

I'm talking about culture. I would argue that the Mormon culture is extremely satisfied and gratified by the service that it does.

I'm sitting here thinking: I've never met or known of a Mormon community activist. Maybe my circle has been too small.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #19
Archaea

Quote:
I know we believe it in general and in theory. It's just that it usually doesn't extend to anything past bringing meals to the sister who just gave birth, and helping families move.

Senior missionaries? Church is having a real hard time getting people to go. In fact, in our stake, the stake president has played hardball trying to get people to go. Since no is volunteering.

In the church, the act of being an active member is considered service enough, I would argue.

You will find many, many other Christian churches that are MORE service-oriented.
Okay Mister Smarty pants, other than the "missions" typically supported by the Catholic Church, how much outreach into the truly destitute parts of the world does any group of 3 to 5 million practicing members really do? It is true Mormons tend to use a business approach to poverty, i.e., trying to help as many people for as cheaply and as efficiently as possible, but the LDS do it.

I'd prefer we help ten people with one person or the same length of time others would help one with ten people.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #20
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I guarantee you the average active LDS church member gives more of their time and money to help people inside and outside the church than any other major religion you want to stack up against them.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote