cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Mormons?
Yes 28 73.68%
No 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #11
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Sooner is lying. The nos will get another vote when AA votes.
I've been called a "hardcore Mormon" by several people around the university (who have allegedly discussed my Mormon-ness behind my back).

I like Mormons because they don't interrogate me about Mormonism.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I've been called a "hardcore Mormon" by several people around the university (who have allegedly discussed my Mormon-ness behind my back).

You? Why?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You? Why?
I have no idea. I think it's because I went to BYU and served a mission. That's enough to be considered a fanatic by most people. Add to that the occasional person who sees my angel britches as I'm changing into scrubs, and you've got a recipe for rumors.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post

People around here think I'm a Mormon. So what. It's like what rednecks used to say about the Chinese.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:11 PM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The nos will get another vote when AA votes.
LOL, that's the first thing I thought of when I read the poll question. I think he gave a talk with that topic once. I'd love to have heard that one.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #16
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
LOL, that's the first thing I thought of when I read the poll question. I think he gave a talk with that topic once. I'd love to have heard that one.
Not so much a talk, but something along these lines.

When Johnnylingo asked this question, I'm sure he was asking whether we like members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I love the church, I love the teachings of the church (so long as they're true), and I love the members of the church who give so much of themselves with only the desire to do what God wants and to serve their fellow man.

But I despise Mormons.

The term "Mormon" has a connotation for me that it does not for most people. For the majority, "Mormon" = "member of the church." For me, the term smacks of all the little bits of cultural, social, and even religious debris that has managed to cling to the true gospel of Jesus Christ like graffiti on the temple or a crap stain on the robes washed white from the blood of the lamb.

Mormons listen to EFY music, fast for 24 hours, pay 15% tithing, dominate discussion in Sunday School meetings, sprinkle cheap prints of paintings of the Savior that were purchased for $5.99 at Seagull Book and Tape, own three or four Halestorm movies, collect CDs of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and rarely seem to fully engage their minds in a deep and searching study of the precious truths offered through the scriptures and the teachings of the prophets-- and they consider those who do not as they do to be inferior beings.

Even the term "Mormon" is one that the church has been trying to shed ever since it was instituted; yet, being fully embraced by its members, it remains still. Thus, to me, it embodies all of these ideas, teachings, cultural norms, and societal practices that they have treated as being part of the gospel of Jesus Christ and try to impose upon those who view them with suspicion and disdain.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #17
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Not so much a talk, but something along these lines.

When Johnnylingo asked this question, I'm sure he was asking whether we like members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I love the church, I love the teachings of the church (so long as they're true), and I love the members of the church who give so much of themselves with only the desire to do what God wants and to serve their fellow man.

But I despise Mormons.

The term "Mormon" has a connotation for me that it does not for most people. For the majority, "Mormon" = "member of the church." For me, the term smacks of all the little bits of cultural, social, and even religious debris that has managed to cling to the true gospel of Jesus Christ like graffiti on the temple or a crap stain on the robes washed white from the blood of the lamb.

Mormons listen to EFY music, fast for 24 hours, pay 15% tithing, dominate discussion in Sunday School meetings, sprinkle cheap prints of paintings of the Savior that were purchased for $5.99 at Seagull Book and Tape, own three or four Halestorm movies, collect CDs of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and rarely seem to fully engage their minds in a deep and searching study of the precious truths offered through the scriptures and the teachings of the prophets-- and they consider those who do not as they do to be inferior beings.

Even the term "Mormon" is one that the church has been trying to shed ever since it was instituted; yet, being fully embraced by its members, it remains still. Thus, to me, it embodies all of these ideas, teachings, cultural norms, and societal practices that they have treated as being part of the gospel of Jesus Christ and try to impose upon those who view them with suspicion and disdain.
yeah, I think the mystical element has been lost on many in our faith. Too many meetings to go to.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Waters is scared to vote in this one.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #19
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Waters is scared to vote in this one.
speaks at least a trilogy.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #20
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road
Default Why do you people do this to yourselves?

Of course nobody likes you. You don't even like yourselves. You eat babies and grow horns for craps sake. What's to like?
landpoke is offline   Reply With Quote