cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Since God didn't halt the war in heaven, I assume that set the precedent. I guess he lets the principle of free agency even work when it comes to war.
Is the war in heaven Mormon Doctrine?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I see you have been reading Augustine. I too am a fan of his.
You give me too much credit. I am not as smart as you nor have I claimed to be. I don't even know who Augustine is.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Since I don't know the mind of God, this is a guess. The revolutionary war and the war against Hitler.

Again that is a guess though, much like you naming any wars he didn't like would be a guess.
So God liked WWII?

If he liked it, then we have to suppose those that fomented it would have God's approval. Right?

This line of reason goes something like "because I think our actions in the war were justified, the war itself was something God approved of and not only permitted, but perhaps desired."

It's ludicrous in my opinion, but the sad part is that so many get sucked in and become war-mongerers, believing that because they are righteous all war they enter is endorsed by God.

You can see that the modern prophets have avoided conflict and war when it come to their own people and possessions.

I'm not saying that I think God opposes those who fought for the USA in WWII. I am suggesting that war has no place in zion.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #14
BYU71

Quote:
Is the war in heaven Mormon Doctrine?
I don't know. I believe it happened. I am pretty sure most religions that believe in a diety though have him approving of one war or another.

AND, this thread is mute to someone who doesn't believe in God.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #15
SeattleUte

Quote:
You give me too much credit. I am not as smart as you nor have I claimed to be. I don't even know who Augustine is.
The academic world thinks it was Augustine who first articlulated the philosophy of a just war. But I know various Book of Mormon prophets and bards repeat it in their own way in various places, so perhaps they too can lay claim to having done so.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #16
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am simply assuming that if there was ever a war God didn't like he would have halted it forthwith.
I think if one believes in a God who can intervene or does intervene much at all, then Seattle is right.

Fortunately, Mormonism has created the all-knowing, all-good God who is not omnipotent, since He is subject to natural laws of a universe that He did not create.

The real philosophical problem in Mormonism is lack of an explanation as to how matter was created. No one has a clue as to the origin of matter. The claim that matter can't be created or destroyed isn't accurate either.

However, the "morality of God" issues that Seattle brings up are essentially resolved by the creation of a God with limitations.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:37 PM   #17
BYU71

Default OK

UOTE=MikeWaters;115388]So God liked WWII?

If he liked it, then we have to suppose those that fomented it would have God's approval. Right?

This line of reason goes something like "because I think our actions in the war were justified, the war itself was something God approved of and not only permitted, but perhaps desired."

It's ludicrous in my opinion, but the sad part is that so many get sucked in and become war-mongerers, believing that because they are righteous all war they enter is endorsed by God.

You have the simple reality of most liberals. You think in terms of what would be nice vs reality. You were talking about war in the terms of pacifism. No one likes war, I didn't think you would be asking a question so stupid it would have only 1 answer.

By like, I took it to mean does God approve of going to war.

My mistake. God doesn't like war. He is hoping the world will be like it is supposed to be during the Millenium.

If you know how to bring it sooner, without war, I will be happy and I am sure he will too. I think the way he sees it now there will be a great war prior to Christ's coming. Perhaps you can plead with him not to fight it and become a pacifist.

Last edited by BYU71; 08-22-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #18
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Not that hard. We denounce war and avoid it as much as possible, recognizing that it is an unfortunate necessity at times. Nevertheless, even while in war we should strive for peace.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
The claim that matter can't be created or destroyed isn't accurate either.
Can you exaplin what you mean by this?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #20
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I am suggesting that war has no place in zion.
Only as long as as the domicile of "zion" happens (by historical accident) to be within the borders of the world's currenlty reigning superpower and imperial overlord. Often, war is not a choice. You have said many intelligent things on this board. This does not strike me as one of them.

—Paul Auster