cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2006, 03:57 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

That pretty much sums it up, yes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:25 AM   #12
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

We're not as stupid as you think. You ask if the crypt is for "those who are sincerely interested in contributing to the community." Are we supposed to believe that you're not referring to yourself? On the other hand, you wonder if it is "a popularity contest, where my beef with certain parties will play against me." Are we supposed to think you're doing something besides playing the part of the martyr whose liberating and eye-opening gospel could not be accepted by the heathenistic barbarians you so dilligently labored to free?

You are certainly welcome here, but leave that schtick to Cougarboard.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:48 AM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

the real key of the Crypt is for somebody to be him- or herself, not really putting on airs.

Somebody with a chip on his shoulders against others in the group is unlikely to voted in. It is a fun group because nobody tries to be an A.. hole.

We know we don't know the answers, we don't claim to be better than others, we're not there to liberate others from oppression of religion but rather we're just having fun even though we're different.

Nonetheless, if we aren't active members, we're not there to convert heathen LDS or active LDS. One guy identified it as a "no prick zone."

Pricks need not apply.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:01 AM   #14
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:17 AM   #15
All-American

It may just be that time of month.

Look, I go to BYU. I get to deal with people who can't handle the possibility that they might not know everything, or that they could be incorrect in their beliefs. We don't need more of that here.

If you were here to learn from interaction with others, I'd vote you in the Crypt in nothing flat. I like to see other opinions; if nothing else, it keeps me on my toes. I even think a lot of your ideas don't get the examination they deserve, and some of them may even be right.

But if you're out to bless us with your presence in the hopes that we can someday be more like you . . . please don't.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:20 AM   #16
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:35 AM   #17
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
It prevents entrance to the crypt from becoming an issue of popularity. It could easily happen, that enough people of a certain mindset could make the crypt a place of exclusivity of thought, rather than a place of respectful debate. I have no idea if that has happened already. I would assume not. But when I look for the weak link in the rules, the potential for this kind of ruin is there, when considered over a long enough period of time. The crypt has the potential of becoming stale.
That could never happen. It is the crypt. I'm talking about someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock, like the salmon of Capistrano.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:54 AM   #18
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:45 AM   #19
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
On the contrary AAA. My POV is based on NOT KNOWING what is right about ANYTHING. I don't support rights for homosexuals because I KNOW THIS IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. I support gay rights because I DON'T KNOW that homosexuality is ruinous, and I will always attempt to er on the side of freedom, liberty and equality. Maybe gay marriage will send this country down the crapper. I DON'T KNOW (though I doubt it). I don't even know if marriage is a very good idea in the first place. So when gays want to get married, I say to myself, Why should a Know-Nothing like ME tell these guys that they can't get married and adopt children? Who am I to tell them what they can and can't do?

Seriously, one of the biggest pet peeves I had with the LDS culture was the insane need to KNOW everything... what is the nature of God, and why am I here on earth, and what is going to happen to me after I die. If I believed we had the personal tools required to KNOW the answers to these things, they might be pretty important questions to me. But I don't think that we do have those tools, so I basically think the answers to those questions are UNKNOWABLE. I DON'T KNOW a LOT, and most of the positions I take on political issues and religion are based on a total acceptance and contentment with the perpetual human state of ignorance.
First of all, what is this AAA thing?

And I will never apologize for wanting to know everything. Frankly, my beef with the LDS culture these days is how much we refrain from wanting to know as much as humanly possible. When we stop learning and sit on an assumption or belief and refuse to look further, we may as well stop living, as far as I'm concerned. That's why I am all for frank discussion of these matter and of all aspects thereof.

If you're here to learn, that's great. I've learned a great deal from the other posters here, and it's changed the way I think of a lot of things. Your posts, on the other hand, frequently have the feel of one who's already decided that the way we Mormons do things is wrong, and you'll do your darndest to make your "contribution to society" by winning us over. No disrespect intended, whether you believe that or not, but I'd just as soon not deal with that.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:11 PM   #20
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Robin,

The current rules for the Crypt work though....

Things are posted in there that wouldn't be posted out in the open because of the controlled environment. We know who has access and who will be reading it.

To this date, only one person has been removed. But no one has violated the "code".

I think of it like my house. I don't allow folks to come in until I get to know them a bit. Once I feel comfortable they are welcome anytime...

My home doesn't have an open door policy to start...