cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
lol....you think there's less competitiveness in a singles wards?

I have to admit that is one of the better laughs I've had in a while.
Just based on my personal experiences in several wards across the US. Certainly should not be the basis for your derision.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
lol....you think there's less competitiveness in a singles wards?

I have to admit that is one of the better laughs I've had in a while.
I had a brief, 3 year, encounter in singles wards. I don't know how it is now, but that ward had a lot less judgement of others going on. I don't remember the know it all brother in the class passing out judgement.

I think if they did the question to him of, "if you are such a spiritual giant and have your act so together, what the hades are you doing in a singles Priesthood meeting" usually got him to keep quiet from then on.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Just based on my personal experiences in several wards across the US. Certainly should not be the basis for your derision.
Actually my "derision" wasn't based on your personal experience...it was based on your hilarious line.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't know what you meant by "competitive" but my experience with singles wards is that the kids are generally amenable to just about anything they are asked to do: they rarely turn down callings and usually show up in respectable percentages at activities.

Family wards, on the other hand, consist of crotchety old adults who get whiney if the EQ lesson isn't interesting enough, or hostile if you ask them to step outside their "comfort zone."
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't know what you meant by "competitive" but my experience with singles wards is that the kids are generally amenable to just about anything they are asked to do: they rarely turn down callings and usually show up in respectable percentages at activities.

Family wards, on the other hand, consist of crotchety old adults who get whiney if the EQ lesson isn't interesting enough, or hostile if you ask them to step outside their "comfort zone."
Of course if you think things get "competitive" in a Family Ward Gospel Doctrine lesson...one of the funnier things to behold is watching Elders in the ward start duking it our verbally in front of everyone, all in the attempt to show off their "intellectual" wares and impress the ladies.

What I've witnessed in a singles ward Gospel Doctrine class in this regard far exceeds anything I've ever seen in a family ward. I've actually witnessed 2 Elders having to be physically restrained from going after each other in the hallway after a Gospel Doctrine class.

It's pure comedy gold.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #16
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I agree with your observation. The competitiveness can come out in relation to dating (especially within the RS), but singles wards are generally very underrated in the church by the married members in terms of the spiritual quality.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:06 PM   #17
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I agree with your observation. The competitiveness can come out in relation to dating (especially within the RS), but singles wards are generally very underrated in the church by the married members in terms of the spiritual quality.
In terms of the spiritual quality.....I definetly agree.

I've had more spiritual experiences in a singles ward than I've had in a family ward.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #18
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Your post says it all much better than me. We recently had a high councilor in our singles ward talk about the marked contrast he experiences when extending callings in singles wards vs. family wards. He related how he has never been turned down in a singles ward calling; yet heard much whining (e.g. "I've done this before, I don't get along with the leaders", etc.) from family ward members. The best actual story he related was when calling a singles ward member to serve as executive secretary, the brother instantly said, "Absolutely, I am not in the business of turning down callings".
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #19
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Your post says it all much better than me. We recently had a high councilor in our singles ward talk about the marked contrast he experiences when extending callings in singles wards vs. family wards. He related how he has never been turned down in a singles ward calling; yet heard much whining (e.g. "I've done this before, I don't get along with the leaders", etc.) from family ward members. The best actual story he related was when calling a singles ward member to serve as executive secretary, the brother instantly said, "Absolutely, I am not in the business of turning down callings".
I think that's because YSAs who go to church go because they want to and not because they have kids to take or a wife who drags them along. There are a few on the fringes who only go for the social aspects, but if they aren't really interested in church they can always find dates other places.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #20
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
In terms of the spiritual quality.....I definetly agree.

I've had more spiritual experiences in a singles ward than I've had in a family ward.
Are you telling me that it doesn't get a LOT better than it is right now?

Maybe the JW's were right all along . . .