cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #11
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
There has been intimation that all children born into the covenant, will eventually find their way back to faith and the church.

This is one of the great mysteries of the church, because it doesn't seem to fit with our notions of personal responsibility and works.

I've never heard of a carve out for gays born into the covenant, that they would be excluded.
There is a big difference between children BIC to parents who keep their covenants eventually receiving eternal life and those gay children BIC being allowed to marry their gay companion in the Temple. I think wayward BICers returning to the fold includes the understanding that mercy is powerful, not that homosexual sex is acceptable to God.

Once again, I reiterate that I believe we are all victims of cultural customs and bias, so perhaps anything is possible. I just don't think the blacks and the priesthood is similar because, to my understanding, there were teachings that eventually it would be extended to all.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:03 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
There is a big difference between children BIC to parents who keep their covenants eventually receiving eternal life and those gay children BIC being allowed to marry their gay companion in the Temple. I think wayward BICers returning to the fold includes the understanding that mercy is powerful, not that homosexual sex is acceptable to God.
Perhaps. That would be the most likely interpretation. But even with your interpretation, it is implied that a child BIC who lives a "gay lifestyle" (this phrase, I have discovered is offensive to gays) his/her entire life, will eventually return.

What that means, and how it would be accomplished is one of the great mysteries.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Perhaps. That would be the most likely interpretation. But even with your interpretation, it is implied that a child BIC who lives a "gay lifestyle" (this phrase, I have discovered is offensive to gays) his/her entire life, will eventually return.

What that means, and how it would be accomplished is one of the great mysteries.
It would be nice if they can return, but I truly doubt they'd return sealed to their gay lovers.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It would be nice if they can return, but I truly doubt they'd return sealed to their gay lovers.
maybe not. but they could probably still bowl and play darts.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #15
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Has the church ever backed off on a commandment. Their are some I wish they would but I think it would be very difficult to say this was a sin yesterday but not today.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Has the church ever backed off on a commandment. Their are some I wish they would but I think it would be very difficult to say this was a sin yesterday but not today.
BY told members that pants with a zipper in the front were the tools of Satan or somesuch. Plenty of members wearing zippered in the front pants these days.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
BY told members that pants with a zipper in the front were the tools of Satan or somesuch. Plenty of members wearing zippered in the front pants these days.
This one would be a significant change. I don't anticipate it happening, but there are many things which I don't anticipate.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Ex-Mormon gay couples could be encouraged, over the pulpit, to attend church, but at the same time not be allowed to be members in good standing, or not allowed to be members at all.

The point of departure would be encouraging them to commune.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #19
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
In Acts 15 the NT Church set aside all kinds of OT stuff that was supposed to last "forever," "until the end of days" and so on. I've got a list of some of the most notable ones:

Gen 17:7-14 Circumcision is an "everlasting covenant… between me and you and thy seed after thee."

Ex 12:14, 24 Passover to be kept "throughout your generations… forever."

Ex 12:17 Feast of unleavened bread "observe… in your generations… forever."

Ex 27:20-21 "…a statute forever" for Aaron’s descendants to keep a lamp burning from evening to morning in the tabernacle.

Ex 29:9 Aaron’s descendants by "perpetual statute" are to hold the priest’s office, "to serve me as priests forever".

Ex 29:38 Two lambs to be sacrificed "day by day continually," "every day for all time to come."

Ex 30:8 "perpetual incense" to be burned "without interruption for all time to come."

Ex 31:12-17 Sabbath to be kept "throughout your generations," "for all time to come" as a perpetual covenant," "permanent sign." Those who work on the sabbath are to be put to death.

Ex 30:10 Atonement on the altar once a year "throughout your generations," "every year for all time to come."

Ex 40:15 Anointing of Aaron’s descendants to be an "everlasting priesthood throughout their generations." "This anointing will make them priests for all time to come."

Lev 6:18-22 Offerings by the descendants of Aaron a "statute forever," "for all time to come."

Lev 7:36-37 "…a statute for ever throughout their generations" "that the people must obey for all time to come" regarding the law of various offerings.

Lev 10:15 Parts of offerings which belong to the descendants of Aaron "by a statute forever."

Lev 16:29-34 Day of Atonement to be observed "a statute for ever" "for all time to come."

Lev 17:7 Not to offer sacrifices to devils is a "statute for ever unto them throughout their generations."

Lev 21:16-21 No descendants of Aaron "in their generations," "for all time to come" with a physical defect are to make an offering.

Lev 22:3 Descendants of Aaron "among your generations," "for all time to come" if unclean they go near the sacred offerings, they are to be cut off. (Num 19:20,21)

Lev 23:5-14 Feast of the passover and unleavened bread "to be observed by all your descendants for all time to come."

Lev 23:15-22 Harvest festival regulations are to be "a statute for ever in all your dwellings throughout your generations" "for all time to come no matter where you live."

Lev 23:26-32 Regulations for the day of atonement are to be observed as "a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings." He who works or does not fast is to be cut off from God’s people.

Lev 23:33-44 Regulations for the feat of tabernacles are to be "a statute for ever in your generations," "to be dept by your descendants for all time to come."

Lev 24:3 Lamps are to be kept burning in the tabernacle "a statute forever in your generations." "This regulation is to be observed for all time to come."

Lev 24:8-9 Children of Israel are to bring bread "every sabbath…continually… an everlasting covenant… a perpetual statute," " for all time to come" to be placed on the table before the Lord.

Num 10:8-10 Rules for blowing horns "an ordinance for ever throughout your generations," a rule "to be observed for all time to come."

Num 15:1-31 Rules pertaining to sacrifice "forever in your generations" (v. 15), "for all time to come." Those who deliberately disobey are to be put to death (v.30).

Nu 15:37-41 Children of Israel are to make fringes on the borders of their garments "throughout all their generations" "for all time to come."

Nu 18:8-24 Rules of inheritance for priests established "by statute for ever" (v.11, 19, 23), "…a permanent rule that applies also to your descendants."

Deu 29:29 Children of Israel are to obey the revealed Law "for ever."
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-13-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #20
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

In the past there were some extremely powerful members of the church, both male and female that were practicing homosexuals.

This is a little off topic, but Adam God IMO, would give solace to homosexuals in this probation as it would increase understanding and rules against certain inherent behaviors.

I disagree with Indy's assertion that the gospel is about creating seed, if so single saints as well as homo-saints are, to use an Indy word, 'fed' not literally but spiritually.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote