cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 AM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I helped plan ward activities in our student (single and married) ward here in PA. The most successful was a 5K, with a taco bar held right after.
The 5K is a wonderful idea.

We could even stage a ward tri party.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:57 AM   #12
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
He then tells me that the handbook says (and it actually says this) that you can't sell anything door to door and you can't charge a set price--you can only ask for donations.

It seriously seems like the intention of the policies is to make it impossible to have any sort of activities (youth or otherwise) that cost money.

1. You can't charge each kid a fair share. (i.e. $25 each for the activity)
2. You can't have a real fundraiser
3. You can't pay for it yourself / have a wealth ward member front the money
4. The church gives you peanuts in the budget.

Why don't they just come out and say you can't do anything that costs money? I don't get it.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:01 AM   #13
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I assume the 5k was in the single ward.

A 5k in our ward would attract about 3 people.

A buffet line would attract about 100.
A 5K would be huge in my ward. There are five or six young families that do local triathalons, they watch each others kids during training. There are also quite a few runners. Our ward is composed of about 70% Air Force families so that may have something to do with it.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I am convinced the angst over the budget was the deciding factor. The other counselor said as much to me privately.

Amazing.

That is ok, I enjoy teaching the 16 year old Sunday school class quite a bit anyway. And my Wed evenings are now free to work late.
Anything that is more than $50, you really have to get approval first from the Bishopric, in my experience.

That said, anytime you pay out of your pocket, you should expect there to be a chance you will not be reimbursed. And if that is a problem, don't pay out of pocket.

I was late asking parents for the 2nd round of camp fees, so I paid it myself with the intent of getting it from the parents later (to be reimbursed through the ward). I could have easily screwed myself there.

Luckily we have a bishopric that is willing to bend the rules in our favor instead of the other way around.

We had a ward auction that raised 3k for the YM and YW. Ward in Plano (a suburb) had the same kind of auction and raised 14k. Auction goods and services.

I HATE the way things are run. I HATE the expectation that is placed on me that I will pay for activities. But there is not a gosh-darned thing I can do about it.

I probably spend $300 a year in gas at least, just for starters.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:06 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I think pretty much all ward activities suck for the most part. They are an exercise in testing how cheap we can be with the lack of budget. And like most Americans, we generally suck at being cheap. Kids running around, having to deal with lack of seating, etc. I consider going to ward activities part of "enduring to the end"
I'm with you. I don't attend ward activities. I see these people on Sunday and that's enough for me.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:51 AM   #16
Archaea

Thanks guys.

You're really depressing me.

Our organization has the saving ordinances, some good people and too much bureaucracy.

It's probably why very few LDS persons are my social friends. Aside from the football guys here, some professionals, I just don't associate with LDS, because they are sooooo bureaucratic and boring, even if they are the "Chosen People."

And yes Adam, my wife wears sexy sports bras to Church functions. It has cost her callings in Young Womens. Go figure.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:54 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

There are interesting people in Mormonism. Sometimes you just have to get past the accountant exterior.

I've decided that my friends in the church will come in three categories 1) basketball 2) outdoors/scouting and 3)

I can't think of a third.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:54 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There are interesting people in Mormonism. Sometimes you just have to get past the accountant exterior.

I've decided that my friends in the church will come in three categories 1) basketball 2) outdoors/scouting and 3)

BBQ.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:56 AM   #19
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's probably why very few LDS persons are my social friends. Aside from the football guys here, some professionals, I just don't associate with LDS, because they are sooooo bureaucratic and boring, even if they are the "Chosen People."
You bring up an interesting point. Pretty much all of our best friends who happen to be LDS are, like us, not from "pioneer stock." Converts or 2nd generation LDS, etc. We have found them to be much more down to earth / real people than those from long lines of Mormons with huge extended families, etc.

I wonder why that is?
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:01 AM   #20
Archaea

Quote:

Cougarguard? Internet sports information boards?