cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I am honestly interested in your comments re: "why".
Truth is why.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...light=unbelief

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:03 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree with your comments re; socialization; however, it goes deeper. Singles stakes foster more opportunities to serve in responsible positions and create a greater sense of purpose and identity - the positives greatly outweigh any negatives. It is sobering to think of the future implications of losing 40% of the next generation
You might be dead on right. It is just my guess that the 40% are not interested in serving in responsible positions. They show up and those that think getting them in a job and then guilt tripping them is going to get them active I think are thinking in the past.

I just had a relative who announced his wife and two of age kids are getting baptized. He was anything but receptive to the church during his 16-24 year age. I think it was mainly because he didn't think he fit. He didn't serve a mission, he didn't attend BYU, he didn't do scouts and messed with things not on the churches approval list. He wasn't one of the churches "best and brightest" to say the least and revolted against the feeling he was an outcast amongst his own people.

Marriage and 5 kids has given him a different outlook on life. He is looking for stablility and a structure to raise his kids in. The church works.

This is just my own feeling. I think we too often emphasize the negatives of not following the plan and not enough the positives of following it.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I've been told that our current stake president is opposed to all singles organizations and will not permit a singles ward in his stake. I wonder how he'll take this news.
Your SP's attitude is troubling on several levels. Does he have the power to effectively isolate a segment of his stake? Too often, local leaders marginalize those of us who don't fall into the category of being active, married, have kids and drive a minivan. Shouldn't an organization that purports to impart the message of Christ be just as concerned (if not more so) about those who struggle on the margin?

Last edited by Requiem; 07-17-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

That's why everyone should attend BYU, BYU-Hawaii or BYU-Idaho.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #15
SeattleUte

By the way, the New York Times reported a similar phenomenon among Evangelical sects. History is like the stock market. No one should confuse short term, geographically isolated swings with manifest long-term, broadly felt and lasting trends. The fresh religious ardor we see in the U.S. red states and Middle East really is panic.

Michel Houelebecq described phenomena such as we have seen happening since Newton in his brilliant novel "The Elementary Particles."

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...sical+mutation

—Paul Auster
Old 07-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #16
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
By the way, the New York Times reported a similar phenomenon among Evangelical sects. History is like the stock market. No one should confuse short term, geographically isolated swings with manifest long-term, broadly felt and lasting trends. The fresh religious ardor we see in the U.S. red states and Middle East really is panic.

Michel Houelebecq described phenomena such as we have seen happening since Newton in his brilliant novel "The Elementary Particles."

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...sical+mutation

In other words we just have to wait until the "shit hits the fan" to see a resurgence in religion.

I love reading philosphers and their treatises on the human condition and why people do what they do. What a great job. Do what we do here on Cougarguard and actually make a living at it.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #17
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I love reading philosphers and their treatises on the human condition and why people do what they do. What a great job. Do what we do here on Cougarguard and actually make a living at it.
No shit. I know how amateur golfers must feel watching the masters from the couch on Sundays.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #18
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Your SP's attitude is troubling on several levels. Does he have the power to effectively isolate a segment of his stake? Too often, local leaders marginalize those of us who don't fall into the category of being active, married, have kids and drive a minivan. Shouldn't an organization that purports to impart the message of Christ be just as concerned (if not more so) about those who struggle on the margin?
Well, I suppose I'm not giving you the full picture. He is a big proponent of singles activities and wants opportunities for them to mingle and interact, but on a spiritual level he wants them in their family wards.

There are some bishops and stake presidents who worry about their young people getting "lost in the cracks" of a singles ward, since they tend to be very dynamic (lots of turnover). They feel they can better care for their needs if they're somewhere they can keep an eye on them.

I don't agree with that philosophy, but I don't blame them for feeling that way. I spent a number of years in the singles program of the church, and it's true it can be easy to disappear if you really want to.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #19
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
No shit. I know how amateur golfers must feel watching the masters from the couch on Sundays.
Just as I get intimidated by those golfers on TV, I also get intimidated by people who talk about reading a great book by Michael Houelebecq. Even though I don't know who that is, it indicates you are on a higher intellectual plane than I and when we have a verbal confrontation I have to use my wit and charm against your intellectual superiority.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:18 PM   #20
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Well, I suppose I'm not giving you the full picture. He is a big proponent of singles activities and wants opportunities for them to mingle and interact, but on a spiritual level he wants them in their family wards.

There are some bishops and stake presidents who worry about their young people getting "lost in the cracks" of a singles ward, since they tend to be very dynamic (lots of turnover). They feel they can better care for their needs if they're somewhere they can keep an eye on them.

I don't agree with that philosophy, but I don't blame them for feeling that way. I spent a number of years in the singles program of the church, and it's true it can be easy to disappear if you really want to.
Another problem with singles wards and singles functions is they are a hunting ground for predators. I have heard many stories about it being easier to find action a a church singles dance than the local bars.