cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 08:34 PM   #11
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

By the way, Nibley's talk on the meaning of the Temple is a fantastic read:

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/disp...nscripts&id=58
Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #12
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That would be my favorite talk.

You could provide links from anti-Mormon sites for all members to visit if they have any questions. You may never be asked to speak again.
Not to threadjack, but there's a pretty good book called The Mysteries of Godliness: A History of Mormon Temple Worship by David Buerger. He's careful not to describe things he feels he shouldn't, but there's plenty of fascinating stuff in there.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #13
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I have to speak in church this week under the subject line: Lessons from the Nauvoo Temple.
One of my all-time favorite Joseph Smith stories has to do with exhorting LDS to build the temple and Nauvoo House.

From History of the Church, vol. 5, pg. 284:

Remarks of the Prophet to Workmen on the Temple. (21 February, 1843)

"Let us build the Temple. . . [and the Nauvoo House] . . .

The building of the Nauvoo House is just as sacred in my view as the Temple. I want the Nauvoo House built. It must be built. Our salvation [as a city] depends upon it.
When men have done what they can or will do for the Temple, let them do what they can for the Nauvoo House. We never can accomplish one work at the expense of another. There is a great deal of murmuring in the Church about me; but I don't care anything about it. I like to hear it thunder, and I like to hear the Saints grumble; for the growling dog gets the sorest head. If any man is poor and afflicted, let him come and tell of it, and not complain or grumble about it.

The finishing of the Nauvoo House is like a man finishing a fight; if he gives up, he is killed; if he holds out a little longer, he may live. I'll tell you a story: A man who whips his wife is a coward. When I was a boy, I once fought with a man who had whipped his wife. It was a hard contest; but I still remembered that he had whipped his wife; and this encouraged me, and I whipped him till he said he had enough. Brethren, hurry on to the Nauvoo House thus, and you will build it. . .

I will say to those who have labored on the Nauvoo House, and cannot get their pay-- Be patient; and if any man takes the means which are set apart for the building of that house, and applies it to his own use, let him, for he will destroy himself. If any man is hungry, let him come to me, and I will feed him at my table. If any are hungry or naked, don't take away the brick, timber and materials, that belong to that house, but come and tell me, and I will divide with them to the last morsel; and then if the man is not satisfied, I will kick his backside."
Old 07-17-2007, 04:40 AM   #14
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Talk about playing instruments, singing, drinking wine, and hanging out for hours.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #15
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all of the good suggestions.

As for the bad ones...meh, you guys can do better...I know you have it in you...

Here's what I've learned so far in my research:

As AA suggested, the biggest thing to come out of the Nauvoo temple building was the ordinances performed therin, specifically, eternal marraige, but they also began doing baptisms for the dead in the Mississippi River.

Another interesting thing is that Joseph Smith asked the men to work 1 day in 10 on the Nauvoo Temple. He called it their tithing. I don't know if this is the first time that the concept had been used with the saints or not, but I thought it was interesting.

Finally, the building of the Nauvoo temple was the catalyst that launched the Relief Society. While the men were working, the women were asked to provide food, clothing, etc...for the men, and thus the relief society was born.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #16
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Thank you for all of the good suggestions.

As for the bad ones...meh, you guys can do better...I know you have it in you...

Here's what I've learned so far in my research:

As AA suggested, the biggest thing to come out of the Nauvoo temple building was the ordinances performed therin, specifically, eternal marraige, but they also began doing baptisms for the dead in the Mississippi River.
You could mention the climax of narcissism that lead Joseph Smith to marry 15 women in a span of 7 months. May of 1843 was particularly busy for Smith in the sealing department. In that month he married 4 girls ranging in age from 14 to 19.

http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #17
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
You could mention the climax of narcissism that lead Joseph Smith to marry 15 women in a span of 7 months. May of 1843 was particularly busy for Smith in the sealing department. In that month he married 4 girls ranging in age from 14 to 19.

Alright hyrum, you "took it up a notch" with that one...well done...I guess I had that coming.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post

what's up with him marrying a 50 and 53 year old? I think that's the more disgusting thing!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
what's up with him marrying a 50 and 53 year old? I think that's the more disgusting thing!
He needed somebody to take care of his 14 to 19 year olds.