cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Mr. Obama, otherwise known as Bush III.
I would imagine you are in an extraordinarily tiny minority if you think Obama=Bush III.

Regardless, you seem to be conflating two very distinct issues here:

1. Whether Obama will increase the powers of the executive branch in a manner similar to Bush; and
2. Whether Obama will work in a bipartisan manner.

With respect to 1, you haven't presented anything that, to date, suggests he will operate even remotely like Bush. In fact, what you have presented indicates the exact opposite. He is overturning executive orders implemented by Bush that had the effect of expanding executive powers. Whether or not Obama says "I get to dictate legislative terms because I won," hardly indicates an expansion of executive power. The Constitution clearly permits Obama to be heavily involved in determining whether legislation will pass or fail, and executives have played a role in negotiating terms of legislation since Washington. You may not like the fact that Obama has that job, but that is what we elected him to do.

With respect to #2, nobody can say for certain as of yet. His comment of "because I won" isn't a great indicator of bipartisanship. I don't know whether or not it was a calculated comment (to show Republicans they can't walk all over him and that they are wrong to perceive him as a neophyte), or whether it was a slip of the tongue that reveals what he really thinks. I doubt anybody knows at this point. He has been president for less than a week.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
In fact, what you have presented indicates the exact opposite. He is overturning executive orders implemented by Bush that had the effect of expanding executive powers.
Heh, he's using his power to restrict his power? Is that like God creating a rock so heavy he can't lift it?

Ha.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 AM   #13
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Heh, he's using his power to restrict his power? Is that like God creating a rock so heavy he can't lift it?

Ha.
Why is this so tough to understand? You seemed to "get it" just a page back. What happened?

Query: Abraham Lincoln expanded executive authority when he suspended the writ of habeus corpus. Would an executive order revoking Lincoln's order: a) be an inappropriate expansion of executive authority; or b) be a use of executive authority to curtail executive authority?

Get back to me when you have something intelligent to say.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Why is this so tough to understand? You seemed to "get it" just a page back. What happened?

Query: Abraham Lincoln expanded executive authority when he suspended the writ of habeus corpus. Would an executive order revoking Lincoln's order: a) be an inappropriate expansion of executive authority; or b) be a use of executive authority to curtail executive authority?

He effectively authorized supporting abortion through executive fiat, I see that as an expansion of executive power, even if it is through the revocation of the order reinstating the revocation of the original order. I simply disagree with your analysis and apologetic argument.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
Tex

Quote:

Heh, vintage Cali.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #16
Cali Coug

Quote:
Heh, vintage Cali.
Perfect non-answer. Vintage Tex.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #17
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
He effectively authorized supporting abortion through executive fiat, I see that as an expansion of executive power, even if it is through the revocation of the order reinstating the revocation of the original order. I simply disagree with your analysis and apologetic argument.
What I'm saying is, it's not asserting any new power the executive didn't already have. This new abortion order is only new in the sense that it renews a practice discontinued in 2000.

This idea the the President can shrink his own executive power by fiat is ridiculous, like putting a prisoner in a cell to which he possesses the key. The president may choose not to exercise a specific power, but that doesn't mean it isn't still there.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Perfect non-answer. Vintage Tex.
LOL. It warms my heart to see that you two are still doing the forbidden dance.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
LOL. It warms my heart to see that you two are still doing the forbidden dance.
To borrow Hitchens, "This is now the joke stupid people laugh at."

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #20
Cali Coug

Quote:
What I'm saying is, it's not asserting any new power the executive didn't already have. This new abortion order is only new in the sense that it renews a practice discontinued in 2000.

This idea the the President can shrink his own executive power by fiat is ridiculous, like putting a prisoner in a cell to which he possesses the key. The president may choose not to exercise a specific power, but that doesn't mean it isn't still there.
No, Tex. You miss the point entirely. Whether or not a president DOES do something has nothing at all to do with whether or not he has authority to do something.

I am surprised you don't get this. A baptist could baptize you, for example. He did, in fact, baptize you. But would it mean he had authority to baptize you? Of course not. The act and the authority are two separate issues.

If Bush wrongfully expanded the powers of the executive (and "expanded" isn't even a good word because the powers didn't necessarily expand so much as Bush just took actions outside of his authority), then someone revoking what Bush did is not akin to locking oneself in a prison cell with the key. It is a recognition that the prior act was improper, and a reassertment that the executive will no longer operate in that inappropriate territory.