cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I've noticed it's a tradition for the new MP to totally trash the old one. I've seen this happen too often to be coincidence. And considering the kids are all pretty much brainwashed, it's easy to do.
my mission

MP A: mission in dumps, no success, lots of goofing off
MP B: institutes tight discipline, rules out the ying-yang, significant up-tick in success
MP C (my MP): rules by respect, trusts the missionaries, baptisms explode upward.
MP D: mission immediately tanks, baptisms down big-time.

Then a few years after that I return to my old stomping grounds, and the church house that I was present at during the dedication (culmination of years of work with the members) was weed-infested and abandoned. Not a single active member.

On the main island, everytime I check in on the elders, they are in their house.

Missions are funny creatures. My MP was top-notch impressive humble man. I think the missionaries realized the next guy was 1/4 the man, and the whole mission deflated.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Thanks for the response cougarobgon. So at some point (maybe for your entire 6 years?) while you were a bishop you would have given Member A a temple recommend and denied Member B. Is that not a perfect example of LDS members thinking that WOW adherence is more important than Christian values?

Not attacking, simply discussing.
You didn't read his response very closely. He discussed several variations on your hypotheticals and also the likelihood of differeing repsonses based on his own attitudes.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:43 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
my mission

MP A: mission in dumps, no success, lots of goofing off
MP B: institutes tight discipline, rules out the ying-yang, significant up-tick in success
MP C (my MP): rules by respect, trusts the missionaries, baptisms explode upward.
MP D: mission immediately tanks, baptisms down big-time.

Then a few years after that I return to my old stomping grounds, and the church house that I was present at during the dedication (culmination of years of work with the members) was weed-infested and abandoned. Not a single active member.

On the main island, everytime I check in on the elders, they are in their house.

Missions are funny creatures. My MP was top-notch impressive humble man. I think the missionaries realized the next guy was 1/4 the man, and the whole mission deflated.
One the stories in my mission, is that when MP C (my MP) arrived in the mission. He got off the plane and the APs that were waiting for him said, "Sorry President, but it's against the rules to wear sunglasses." My MP replies, "It's not anymore."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Really? How often have you seen this? serously, how many times have you 'seen' this?
My MP spoke very highly of the MP before him. The prior MP had lots of success, baptisms were high, etc..

My MP was a simple high school teacher from AZ. He and his wife were not overly wealthy. He was not flashy. But this man loved the missionaries. Both he and his wife had a genuine interest in us, worried about us when we were sick, visited the zones often, etc..

He remains, to this day, one of the greatest people I have ever associated with. I really loved my MP and his wife. I NEVER heard him say a negative thing about much of anything, let alone the prior MP.

He did once say that a pair of sister missionaries were nitwits, but that is because they were. One of them had bought a monkey named "Martin" and was keeping it in their room. The other sister didnt like the monkey. I guess the monkey bit that sister and so the Elders made the first sister get rid of Martin. Poor Martin.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #15
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You didn't read his response very closely. He discussed several variations on your hypotheticals and also the likelihood of differeing repsonses based on his own attitudes.
Are you saying that because I added, "... (maybe for your entire 6 years?) ..."? I actually read it very closely. I stated, "So at some point (maybe for your entire 6 years?) while you were a bishop you would have given Member A a temple recommend and denied Member B." b/c of what he said here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
Now to answer your question, the young (32 y/o) cougarobgon bishop, without hesitation would have answered YES to Member A and NO to Member B. I did not ask for the calling, yet I accepted it along with all my shortcomings. I was very judgmental and could not understand how an endowed member could break the wow, not attend Church every Sunday, etc...and my intent was to preside with an "Iron Fist". ...
He continued by only focusing on the WOW issue, only mentioning the dishonesty by saying, "If were a bishop now, Would I say YES to Member A? I believe so.":
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
If were a bishop now, Would I say YES to Member A? I believe so. Would I say NO to Member B? Not without hesitating and seeking clarification about the underlying circumstances that lead the member to willfully break the wow. If the "occasionally" means that Member B drinks wine every couple of weeks, I would probably say NO at that interview and invite Member B to come back in a few weeks to see how he is doing. Would I say Yes? Probably, it just depends on the Member B's attitude and the circumstances that lead him to break the wow.
What did I miss creekster?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #16
creekster

Quote:

What did I miss creekster?

How abotu this:

Quote:
But, then something happened, as I began to get to know each member of my ward, I began to see beyond those outwardly measurements and began to address each issue on its own merits...
Or this:

Quote:
To me a major component of the decisions I made was the attitude of the member.
Or this:

Quote:
The attitude of Member A and Member B would definitively influence my decision.
All of which undercut your premise. You are trying too hard ot fit his answer into your notion. That's not to say you are necessarily always wrong, but his response shows, IMO, that the answer is much more complicated than your approach.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #17
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How abotu this:

Or this:

Or this:

All of which undercut your premise. You are trying too hard ot fit his answer into your notion. That's not to say you are necessarily always wrong, but his response shows, IMO, that the answer is much more complicated than your approach.
Just face it -- an LDS member can be admittedly dishonest and still get a TR, but admittedly breaking the WOW disqualifies him/her. That says something about the priority IMO.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #18
creekster

Quote:
Just face it -- an LDS member can be admittedly dishonest and still get a TR, but admittedly breaking the WOW disqualifies him/her. That says something about the priority IMO.
Or the opposite could be true (if the WOW violation was isolated and regretted while the dishonesty was signfiicant or criminal, for example). This is my point: You want to prove that the membership values WOW more than hoinesty and that this value is implemented by leadership and it just is nto so, at least not always and, in my mind, not even that often. (This was discussed at great length in your other thread, so I won't go into all the reasons why here.)
Old 08-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
My Bishop recently told the Priests that if they had experimented here and there with alcohol, drugs, or masturbation, he didnt need to see them.

He wasn't concerned that they had slipped up and experimented. he was concerned about whether they were going to repent and stop. If they could not stop on their own, he wanted to see them. Otherwise, he said to repent and abandon.

I have no way of knowing, but I find it hard to believe that the same Bishop would withold a TR from an adult who had some wine with dinner, but then stopped doing it.

cougarobgon's post reflects a sentiment that i hope is common amongst our leaders.....dont get hung up on the letter of the law....worry more about the spirit of the law and the repentant attitude of the sinner. Based on the fact that we are not excommunicating our members in droves and droves, I would venture to say that most Bishops are more concerned with the Spirit of the law. Rightfully so.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #20
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Holy hell, just how superficial with this topic can you be?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote