cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I understand that the man pictured is in prison. And is facing additional charges.

Correct me if I am wrong.

But I have taken the bill collector's advice under consideration.
Mike is absolutely correct here. You should find the people who are violating the law and deal with them individually. The whole idea of rounding up a group of people simply because they are a member of a group goes against every freedom we pretend to espouse. All the great atrocities throughout history began by someone subjugating the rights of individuals who belonged to a certain group
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #12
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Carolyn Jessop, a former member of the Yearning for Zion Ranch, told Nancy Grace that the girl was 12 years old in those photos.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/cri...ffs.photos.cnn
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Mike is absolutely correct here. You should find the people who are violating the law and deal with them individually. The whole idea of rounding up a group of people simply because they are a member of a group goes against every freedom we pretend to espouse. All the great atrocities throughout history began by someone subjugating the rights of individuals who belonged to a certain group
Thanks for having my back. Or more properly said, thanks for standing up for freedom, and the rule of law.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #14
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for having my back. Or more properly said, thanks for standing up for freedom, and the rule of law.
Freedom to bang maimaids and beehives. Freedom to teach your kids that adult males banging maimaids and beehives is ordained of God. Freedom to encourage them to have such a relationship. How about about the rights of children to be free from that? You would let your babies be exposed to that in the name of religious freedom? This isn't an ivory tower theoretical discussion. This is real evil happening to kids. Sick sick sick. But yeah, once again you are on the side of truth, justice and the American way there Captain America. If you had any shame you would be feeling some.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Freedom to bang maimaids and beehives. Freedom to teach your kids that adult males banging maimaids and beehives is ordained of God. Freedom to encourage them to have such a relationship. How about about the rights of children to be free from that? You would let your babies be exposed to that in the name of religious freedom? This isn't an ivory tower theoretical discussion. This is real evil happening to kids. Sick sick sick. But yeah, once again you are on the side of truth, justice and the American way there Captain America. If you had any shame you would be feeling some.
don't you have someone to call now? Make sure you hit *69 first so they pick up.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:25 PM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
C'mon Dan, you were the one arguing that those of us who said CPS over-stepped their authority would be embarrassed when it turned out that CPS was right. And you even admitted that the system works when the appellate court said that Mike and others were right.

I think you know that Mike isn't saying that the FLDS now has freedom to sexually abuse minor girls, but you're ticked that you were wrong about how it would turn out.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Given that I have had to deal with the legal question of imminent danger many, many times in my work, it's no surprise that I am right.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #18
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
C'mon Dan, you were the one arguing that those of us who said CPS over-stepped their authority would be embarrassed when it turned out that CPS was right. And you even admitted that the system works when the appellate court said that Mike and others were right.
I did say that, and I do think the system works, but on further reflection I think it got it wrong here in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I think you know that Mike isn't saying that the FLDS now has freedom to sexually abuse minor girls, but you're ticked that you were wrong about how it would turn out.
I'm ticked at how it turned out, not about having been wrong in predicting how it would turn out. I can't imagine my daughter being indoctrinated in a culture that would encourage her to have sex with a religious leader in her early teens. I think that the right of a child not to be exposed to it outweighs the parent's right to expose them to it. I'm on the side of protecting these kids.

The system gets things wrong all the time. But it is still a good system.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #19
UtahDan

Quote:
don't you have someone to call now? Make sure you hit *69 first so they pick up.
I don't make phone calls and debt collection is only about 15% of my practice. You are going to have to try harder to locate my buttons. This definitely isn't one. Work couldn't be better for me.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I did say that, and I do think the system works, but on further reflection I think it got it wrong here in the end.

I'm ticked at how it turned out, not about having been wrong in predicting how it would turn out. I can't imagine my daughter being indoctrinated in a culture that would encourage her to have sex with a religious leader in her early teens. I think that the right of a child not to be exposed to it outweighs the parent's right to expose them to it. I'm on the side of protecting these kids.

The system gets things wrong all the time. But it is still a good system.
I'm no lawyer, but I've seen enough tv to know that the issue here is about CPS overstepping it's authority. The FLDS is wrong and immoral to do what they do with child brides, but the Texas CPS should have taken the correct measures to protect the kids. It only has itself to blame.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote