cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #151
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Data do not support that, as the more active they become the less likely they are to use any kind of protection.
Listening to the radio a month or two ago they were discussing the lack of use of prophylactics among sexually active and the number was staggering.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #152
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Data do not support that, as the more active they become the less likely they are to use any kind of protection.
It certainly surprised me. Because Surfah's reasoning sounds sensible to me.

"Hey, I'm not going to do this."

If you brought such things, "we're going to do it."
Old 10-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #153
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How sad is this?
The study of teens did include Mormons, who were the least active of all teens, but by far the most likely to use contraception when active. So you guys are raising smart kids.
During the six years I worked with the youth in our ward there was only one teen pregnancy. However, during the annual and semi anual interviews or when they came in on their own, I learned that she was not the only youth that had been or was sexually active. For the most part, the kids that were sexually active began dating early, often and only one person. They just got too close and comfortable with that person and let their guards down. If you were too have guessed which YW got pregnant, she would not have been your first choice. She made the right decision, gave birth, LDS Social Services helped put her up in a different city with a good family and she gave the child up for adoption.

With respect to the article and the evangelicals, I have attended two home coming football games this Fall and I would guess that 50% of the YW that were part of the homecoming court were evangelicals because they professed their Christianity in their biographies that were read as they were being presented to the audience...however, their dresses told a different story. That is, if you believe that modesty should be revered by someone who professes Christianity. Of the twenty or so girls that were part of both home coming courts, there was only one that dressed modestly, yet looked beautiful...and wouldn't you know it, she was LDS. Well, I assume she was as she was looking forward to attending BYU-I.

It may be that evangelical youth are being taught that sex before marriage is not appropriate, yet, they receive conflicting signals if parents and church leaders do not discuss dress, modesty, dating and other standards that may help them avoid inapropriate situations.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #154
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
.however, their dresses told a different story. That is, if you believe that modesty should be revered by someone who professes Christianity. Of the twenty or so girls that were part of both home coming courts, there was only one that dressed modestly, yet looked beautiful...and wouldn't you know it, she was LDS. Well, I assume she was as she was looking forward to attending BYU-I.

It may be that evangelical youth are being taught that sex before marriage is not appropriate, yet, they receive conflicting signals if parents and church leaders do not discuss dress, modesty, dating and other standards that may help them avoid inapropriate situations.
How much of this is learned?

It seems most disagree with me, but less coverage does not automatically convey immorality. This belief seems to me to be learned, not innate.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #155
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

It seems most disagree with me, but less coverage does not automatically convey immorality. This belief seems to me to be learned, not innate.
I don't know, it's interesting for sure. I think some of the most unsuspecting usually are the biggest sluts. Then the most provocative can be innocent virgins.

In the end I do think modesty projects a certain attitude or image that can have little to do with being promiscuous or not.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #156
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Oh definitively, the behavior has to be learned. The fact that a young lady shows too much skin does not automatically convey immorality. But you and I know that a 14-17 y/o boy with raging hormones does not typically look upon a young lady showing too much skin to admire the human body, they have other ideas on their mind. I just don't want my daughters at the age of 14-17 attracting that type of attention from boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
I don't know, it's interesting for sure. I think some of the most unsuspecting usually are the biggest sluts. Then the most provocative can be innocent virgins.

In the end I do think modesty projects a certain attitude or image that can have little to do with being promiscuous or not.
You are correct, for some, modesty has little to do with whether or not they are promiscuous, but, it sure would help if your son doesn't have to glance over to the passenger side seat and catch a glimpse of some skin...on his way to drop off a girlfriend at home.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #157
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
I completely agree. I happened to be at a restaurant last year when the prom crowd came in and I was horrified at the dresses. It's amazing how creative the designers have become with how to reveal as much skin as possible and still keep the dresses (if you could call them that) with some structural integrity. The dresses managed to be frontless, strapless, and backless, all at the same time. It was truly impressive. I've worn swimsuits that revealed less.

I think it's an exaggeration to suggest that that alone would lead to fornication, but I also think it's very foolish of the girls to think they're behaving chastely if they're advertising what they claim is not for sale.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #158
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I completely agree. I happened to be at a restaurant last year when the prom crowd came in and I was horrified at the dresses. It's amazing how creative the designers have become with how to reveal as much skin as possible and still keep the dresses (if you could call them that) with some structural integrity. The dresses managed to be frontless, strapless, and backless, all at the same time. It was truly impressive. I've worn swimsuits that revealed less.

I think it's an exaggeration to suggest that that alone would lead to fornication, but I also think it's very foolish of the girls to think they're behaving chastely if they're advertising what they claim is not for sale.

Are you sure you're not mormon?
Old 10-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #159
Surfah
Master

Quote:

I agree with this. I think at the root of all this are self esteem issues. Obviously the immodest or promiscuous youth are in need of something (attention, affection, etc.) that they do not know how to get in any other way.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #160
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
I agree with this. I think at the root of all this are self esteem issues. Obviously the immodest or promiscuous youth are in need of something (attention, affection, etc.) that they do not know how to get in any other way.
They have learned to put all their self-worth in appearance and attention from men.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote