cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #121
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Don't surrender to his bad analogy, il Pad. The premise is terrible. Wright/Obama is not BY/il Pad, and not just because you aren't running for President.

Ridiculous.
I'm not surrendering. I'm pointing out what I thought would be the obvious - that nothing I do as Joe Average citizen will shape policy for the entire country.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:32 AM   #122
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
The problem with the Wright/Obama connection is derived from the closeness of the relationship compounded by the radical and outspoken over-the-pulpit nature of his views.

Thus LDS comparison is pretty poor. I can hardly think of a General Conference or even a sacrament meeting where I've heard political rhetoric that in any degree approximates what Wright said, especially from anyone I've had a personal relationship with. Bad example. As to McCain seeking the endorsement, Reinhard rightly notes:

Which is why, parenthetically, the Hamas endorsement of Obama is such a problem for him. It's not that Obama supports or is sympathetic to Hamas in any way ... it's that they like him.

In any case, the fact that the media has not picked up on the Hagee "issue" despite being so Obama-friendly is a bellwether that there's no "there" there.
Oh please. The "closeness of the relationship" distinguishes Hagee from Wright? Fine- then perhaps we should compare to the Keating 5. Would that be a close relationship that concerns you? Of course there we had actual impropriety by McCain whereas with Obama the impropriety is only alleged on the part of his pastor. Odd you haven't found that troubling at all.

And the media hasn't focused on Hagee because the media hasn't focused on McCain at all. He is an afterthought at this point. That will change as Obama emerges as the sole nominee.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:35 AM   #123
Cali Coug

Quote:
Maybe someone should check to see if Obama ever actually attended this church he claims he was a member of.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,355795,00.html
Someone should also go through each edition of every church magazine the LDS church has published and ascribe all sentiments therein to Romney. Clearly he should be aware of all of that.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:38 AM   #124
Cali Coug

Quote:
Don't surrender to his bad analogy, il Pad. The premise is terrible. Wright/Obama is not BY/il Pad, and not just because you aren't running for President.

Ridiculous.
Why? Because you say it is terrible? You raise your hand (and have twice a year for most of your life) to sustain the church's leaders. You make a physical manifestation of your support for them and their views, right? You also testify that the scriptures are true, including the section on polygamy in D&C. Right? Ergo, you are a polygamist who supports racist leaders with bad judgment.

Or is it more nuanced than that?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #125
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Why? Because you say it is terrible? You raise your hand (and have twice a year for most of your life) to sustain the church's leaders. You make a physical manifestation of your support for them and their views, right? You also testify that the scriptures are true, including the section on polygamy in D&C. Right? Ergo, you are a polygamist who supports racist leaders with bad judgment.

Or is it more nuanced than that?
I don't have a personal, close relationship with any of the prophets. That's just the most glaring of the many points that make your analogy stupid.

Last I checked, Thomas Monson was not on Romney's "spiritual advisory committee."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:32 AM   #126
Cali Coug

Quote:
I don't have a personal, close relationship with any of the prophets. That's just the most glaring of the many points that make your analogy stupid.

Last I checked, Thomas Monson was not on Romney's "spiritual advisory committee."
lol! Nice- reduce the entire issue to one of having a close relationship and then completely ignoring his close relationship with the Keating 5 as irrelevant. Does it hurt your brain to try to spin this into something relevant?

Why is a relationship important to you? Because, I would assume, it suggests Obama may endorse some of Wright's views, right?

So why isn't Romney's express endorsement of his church leaders of equal concern? The relationship is only important to the extent we can extrapolate Obama shares Wright's positions. Romney raising his hand to the square and sustaining his church leaders is an even clearer endorsement of positions, is it not? What about testifying about scriptures that contain covenants regarding polygamy? What about purchasing a copy of Mormon Doctrine (I feel fairly confident we can assume he owns a copy)? Why don't those acts suggest support of radical positions? Or are you going to pretend that support can only be verified by friendship? You are totally full of it.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 05-17-2008 at 03:35 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:19 AM   #127
Tex

Quote:
lol! Nice- reduce the entire issue to one of having a close relationship and then completely ignoring his close relationship with the Keating 5 as irrelevant. Does it hurt your brain to try to spin this into something relevant?

Why is a relationship important to you? Because, I would assume, it suggests Obama may endorse some of Wright's views, right?

So why isn't Romney's express endorsement of his church leaders of equal concern? The relationship is only important to the extent we can extrapolate Obama shares Wright's positions. Romney raising his hand to the square and sustaining his church leaders is an even clearer endorsement of positions, is it not? What about testifying about scriptures that contain covenants regarding polygamy? What about purchasing a copy of Mormon Doctrine (I feel fairly confident we can assume he owns a copy)? Why don't those acts suggest support of radical positions? Or are you going to pretend that support can only be verified by friendship? You are totally full of it.
The discussion about what Mormon doctrine means to Mormon politicians is certainly one we could have. But the pretense that it resembles Wright/Obama is silly, and I think you know it.

Also, your Keating 5 comment came from left field.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-17-2008, 05:32 AM   #128
Cali Coug

Quote:
The discussion about what Mormon doctrine means to Mormon politicians is certainly one we could have. But the pretense that it resembles Wright/Obama is silly, and I think you know it.

Also, your Keating 5 comment came from left field.
Keating 5 didn't come from left field. You are talking about relationships that make us question the character of the candidate. So why are the Keating 5 not relevant? 4 US senators with close friendships with McCain (and McCain himself) were accused of corruption. McCain was personally close to Keating. But I guess it must be different because Keating didn't baptize McCain's kid? Right.

You want there to be a bigger distinction between Mormon politicians and their church and Obama/Wright than there actually is. Romney was criticized for the apparently racist views of his church's leaders. Is that fair? Romney was a prominent leader IN the church. Why shouldn't the statements of church leaders be held against him in your strange world?

I think you realize that the criticisms of both Romney and Obama are unfair and absurd. You are grasping at air.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:47 AM   #129
Tex

Quote:
Keating 5 didn't come from left field. You are talking about relationships that make us question the character of the candidate. So why are the Keating 5 not relevant? 4 US senators with close friendships with McCain (and McCain himself) were accused of corruption. McCain was personally close to Keating. But I guess it must be different because Keating didn't baptize McCain's kid? Right.
I haven't said anything about the Keating 5 one way or the other. It is completely out of left field.

Quote:
You want there to be a bigger distinction between Mormon politicians and their church and Obama/Wright than there actually is. Romney was criticized for the apparently racist views of his church's leaders. Is that fair? Romney was a prominent leader IN the church. Why shouldn't the statements of church leaders be held against him in your strange world?

I think you realize that the criticisms of both Romney and Obama are unfair and absurd. You are grasping at air.
And I think you're groping at absurd analogies trying to find a reason for Jeremiah Wright to be irrelevant. Had Mitt Romney sat in General Conference for 20 years and listened to Gordon Hinckley spout constant racist tripe, cultivated a personal relationship with him, and then invited Hinckley to be on his spiritual advisory committee, you might have an argument.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-17-2008, 05:54 AM   #130
Cali Coug

Quote:
I haven't said anything about the Keating 5 one way or the other. It is completely out of left field.

And I think you're groping at absurd analogies trying to find a reason for Jeremiah Wright to be irrelevant. Had Mitt Romney sat in General Conference for 20 years and listened to Gordon Hinckley spout constant racist tripe, cultivated a personal relationship with him, and then invited Hinckley to be on his spiritual advisory committee, you might have an argument.
I get it.

Attending church for 20 years and having children baptized by pastor: close relationship to statements of church leader.

Attending church entire life, holding prominent leadership role in church, sustaining church leaders twice per year for life, serving mission to convert people to church: no close relationship to statements of church leader.

Yeah- makes sense.

Give it up. Neither is relevant, and you are working too hard to make it relevant at the expense of your own church.

And why is Keating out of left field? McCain had a close relationship with those implicated, and he had a close relationship to Keating (which almost got him expelled from the Senate). Are you only concerned about friendships with crazy pastors and nobody else?