cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #101
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
3. All I can say is that your stake is handling things much differently than mine. The bishop gets up every week at the beginning of Sunday School or Relief Society and says that he has been asked to let us know that there are opportunities to support an effort to pass prop 8 by donating funds to a coalition group, or joining an effort sponsored by the coalition to go door to door seeking support, there are sign up sheets going around for those who are interested in participating. That's it. I don't know if your stake is just a lot pushier than mine, or if you're exaggerating.
Are you aware that all of the routes set up to go door to door are generated by your bishopric? We are the "coalition group". Those of other faiths who are present will be present because we've invited them. And the "opportunity" of which your bishop speaks is being presented in a law of consecration context in the the family wards. They want every family in every ward to donate something and the SP's will be able to track who has donated and how much. What is very likely going on in your ward is either A) you're hearing what you want to hear or B) they're going easy on the student wards as far as donations go.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #102
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Are you aware that all of the routes set up to go door to door are generated by your bishopric? We are the "coalition group". Those of other faiths who are present will be present because we've invited them. And the "opportunity" of which your bishop speaks is being presented in a law of consecration context in the the family wards. They want every family in every ward to donate something and the SP's will be able to track who has donated and how much. What is very likely going on in your ward is either A) you're hearing what you want to hear or B) they're going easy on the student wards as far as donations go.
I am not in a student ward, but yeah, I guess they're going easy on us on this one, because it's been kind of a "donation forms are on the chair by the door, grab one on your way out if you'd like to make a contribution." Furthermore, my bishop doesn't really know what's going on with the door to door in our area. He basically said "show up, there are people there from other churches that have organized this, and they will let you know what to do and where to go." Apparently my experience is very different than yours, because it really doesn't seem to me that in my area the church is the driving force behind the coalition, or that we're all being pressured to contribute. Maybe you're hearing what you want to hear, or they're just being harder on the family wards.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #103
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

steelblue is hearing what he wants to hear.

Funny. I got a chuckle out of that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #104
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Thank goodness the Church isnt putting this thing together.

Now I can ignore all those Stake Presidency requests for money and time. Also, I can have no conflict of conscience from ignoring the letter from the First Presidency.

I will simply pick up a donation slip on the chair by the door as I leave Sacrament.

For those who don't even bother going to Sacrament, there should be even less of an issue.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #105
Black Diamond Bay

[QUOTE=TripletDaddy;251838]I dont know what legalizing gay marriage will do....that is my point. Of the two of us, one of us seems fairly certain that it will cause destruction, increased levels of homosexuality, etc. I have no idea that it will do any of that, which is why I am not for Prop 8. Anecdotally, in Mass, it really hasnt shown to have done much of anything. What has happened there that we can assume will happen in California? I honestly dont know.QUOTE]

Your not for prop 8 because no one has proof that it will cause societal issues? Okay...
Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #106
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

[QUOTE=Black Diamond Bay;251851]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I dont know what legalizing gay marriage will do....that is my point. Of the two of us, one of us seems fairly certain that it will cause destruction, increased levels of homosexuality, etc. I have no idea that it will do any of that, which is why I am not for Prop 8. Anecdotally, in Mass, it really hasnt shown to have done much of anything. What has happened there that we can assume will happen in California? I honestly dont know.QUOTE]

Your not for prop 8 because no one has proof that it will cause societal issues? Okay...
You are for Prop 8 even though you have no proof it will cause societal issues? Okay...

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #107
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am not in a student ward, but yeah, I guess they're going easy on us on this one, because it's been kind of a "donation forms are on the chair by the door, grab one on your way out if you'd like to make a contribution." Furthermore, my bishop doesn't really know what's going on with the door to door in our area. He basically said "show up, there are people there from other churches that have organized this, and they will let you know what to do and where to go." Apparently my experience is very different than yours, because it really doesn't seem to me that in my area the church is the driving force behind the coalition, or that we're all being pressured to contribute. Maybe you're hearing what you want to hear, or they're just being harder on the family wards.
Trust me, I'm not hearing what I want to hear.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #108
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the best I could do for the church is possibly support a bill that would invalidate the supreme court ruling that gay marriage is constitutionally-guaranteed, and allow gay marriage to be voted on through the normal processes (legislation, referendum).

Of course, I don't think that's what the church wants.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #109
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Thank goodness the Church isnt putting this thing together.

Now I can ignore all those Stake Presidency requests for money and time. Also, I can have no conflict of conscience from ignoring the letter from the First Presidency.

I will simply pick up a donation slip on the chair by the door as I leave Sacrament.

For those who don't even bother going to Sacrament, there should be even less of an issue.
That's how much better a person I am than the rest of you. I've got so few sins that I can afford to miss an occasional sacrament meeting.

It seems to me that you're doing just fine ignoring all the requests for support anyway, so I don't see why you care who is organizing it.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #110
Black Diamond Bay

[QUOTE=TripletDaddy;251852]
Quote:

You are for Prop 8 even though you have no proof it will cause societal issues? Okay...
I'm not asking for proof. I'm going with my gut feeling on this one.