cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #91
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I think you are being overly paranoid about schools encouraging kids to explore homosexuality.
Your naivite surprises me, especially considering you come from California, not to mention the soup of popular culture you choose to swim in.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #92
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
here is a good litmus test. Mass has legalized gay marriage. Are the public schools in Mass churning out flaming homosexuals in record numbers? Are high schools filled with budding gay teens, indulging their every whim? I have no data on that....so it would be interesting to see as a litmus test.
FWIW...I have no idea about if there are now more homosexuals in the school system, but they have seen a dramatic increase in people seeking marriage licenses to wed their dogs/cats/mice/llamas. So, continue to have your feelings about Prop 8, just get ready for thousands of people applying for a chance to marry their pet.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #93
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
You can't give me any reason why it won't happen, so why should I be convinced that it won't?

I don't have to be a parent to know that I don't want gay children.

I know there are a lot of gays in Boston, I don't know if they migrating there, or if they're growing up there. Since you don't know the answer to that either, I'm entirely uncertain as to why you bring it up.
This is incoherent. You dont want gay children? So now gay sex ed leads to having gay children?

You have a knack for posting things that you inevitably regret later in the day.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #94
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I believe gay marriage is allowed in Mass, which is why he would have brought it up.
Brilliant. thanks for seeing through my obscure purpose.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 08-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #95
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
1. You are not a parent.
I don't believe one has to be a parent to have legitimate reason to oppose normalization of homosexuality, or having it taught as such in schools.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #96
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Oh, and as far as disposable income in the singles ward. They had no problem lobbying HARD for money for the Newport Temple in the singles ward. Even asking for a specific dollar amount from certain individuals, and according to the stake president, most of us paid what was asked.

You're right. I missed the letter from the first Presidency. I wasn't in church that Sunday.
I was on the Stake committee in Harbor Hills for that fund. I am going to say right now that what you consider hard is very flaccid compared to neighboring wards.

The letter has been widely available online and discussed at length here and CB. Missing Church on Sunday is not a great excuse to not know that this mandate comes directly from the FP.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #97
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Your naivite surprises me, especially considering you come from California, not to mention the soup of popular culture you choose to swim in.
Clever strategy. Conjecture, which cannot really be countered.

How about this: Homosexuality will not be encouraged in schools as a result of gay marriage.

there, I feel vindicated.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #98
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Brilliant. thanks for seeing through my obscure purpose.
I pride myself in being able to grasp the merely obvious, though I do tend to struggle with the completely obvious.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #99
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Okay DDD, legalizing gay marriage isn't going to do anything but let the gay people have a spouse. Society can just embrace homosexuality as totally normal and mainstream, and the only side effect will be happier gays.

Of course it came from the First Presidency. So what? The made a public announcement to the press that they were encouraging church members to vote for prop 8. I don't know what goes on in your ward, but I would hardly say that I feel the church has lobbied for my vote.

I honestly am baffled as to why you are so worked up about this. I think it's weird.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #100
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Okay DDD, legalizing gay marriage isn't going to do anything but let the gay people have a spouse. Society can just embrace homosexuality as totally normal and mainstream, and the only side effect will be happier gays.

Of course it came from the First Presidency. So what? The made a public announcement to the press that they were encouraging church members to vote for prop 8. I don't know what goes on in your ward, but I would hardly say that I feel the church has lobbied for my vote.

I honestly am baffled as to why you are so worked up about this. I think it's weird.
I dont know what legalizing gay marriage will do....that is my point. Of the two of us, one of us seems fairly certain that it will cause destruction, increased levels of homosexuality, etc. I have no idea that it will do any of that, which is why I am not for Prop 8. Anecdotally, in Mass, it really hasnt shown to have done much of anything. What has happened there that we can assume will happen in California? I honestly dont know.

You first said that this effort was not being organized by the Church. now you say, "of course it is from the First presidency." Which is it?

I care about the issue, which is why I will continue to speak out. If you think it is weird, no worries.