cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I am quite sure exie hasn't read that yet.
I guess I read that story in the wrong context. What other things has God said that he really didn't mean?
Old 11-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
I guess I read that story in the wrong context. What other things has God said that he really didn't mean?
I believe it was God telling Abraham to sacrifice Isaac and then doing "you thought I was serious?" later. I cannot recall Isaac being told to sacrifice his son.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I think somewhere in the Bible he "repented" and promised not to drown everyone again. Not sure on that one I will admit.

Look, I am being silly here. God knows what he is doing. However, for you to read something the First Presidency says and then do your own interpretation and then claim it is God's word, not yours is beyond silly. It is assinine.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
exUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I think somewhere in the Bible he "repented" and promised not to drown everyone again. Not sure on that one I will admit.

Look, I am being silly here. God knows what he is doing. However, for you to read something the First Presidency says and then do your own interpretation and then claim it is God's word, not yours is beyond silly. It is assinine.
LOL

Give me your 'interpretation' on what they really meant? Or what God really meant assuming they were merely the mouthpiece? This I gotta hear!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
BYU71

Quote:
LOL

Give me your 'interpretation' on what they really meant? Or what God really meant assuming they were merely the mouthpiece? This I gotta hear!
My interpretation is for me. I don't interpret what the brethern say for others, unless someone sincerely asks for my opinion on something specific.

I know you don't care about my opinion except as an opportunity to espouse your interpretation as "the word".
Old 11-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
exUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am not going to reread the proclamation nor do I have it memorized. Does it sasomewhere in the proclamation that being gay is a choice and they aren't born that way?

Plus, if you think everytime God says something, it is exactly what he means, you obviously haven't read where God told Isacc to sacrifice his son but he really didn't mean it.
You don't have the read the entire thing.

"solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God"

"We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife."

I guess God just isn't with it yet or the 1st Presidency just made it up to discriminate.

What's your take?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
BYU71

Quote:
You don't have the read the entire thing.

"solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God"

"We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife."

I guess God just isn't with it yet or the 1st Presidency just made it up to discriminate.

What's your take?
I thought only a Temple marriage was ordained of God.

I also think that if gays marry, the power to procreate would still only be between a man and a woman.