cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Look at this post over on CB

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2811194

Do some people live in lala land. Do they actually believe being a RM would put you in a position of never doing anything dumb again. Perhaps attending BYU and being a RM would make you in a position to never do anything dumb again.

This is the one side of the testimonial recruiting stories done by TBS and reported to an adoring readership. These kids set themselves up for the fall in the eyes of some of the fan base. "How could this kid have done that. Didn't he tell us all the spirit brought him here to BYU."

Man, go through the month in the life of a Bishop. I had a former Bishop sit by me in testimony meeting. I told him I was shocked to hear so and so were getting divorced. He said the husband had lived in the basement for 8 years. He said people just don't realize what is going on under the "fascade" as they sit in ward Sacrament meeting.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a kick out of the people that thought that somehow Bronco was going to put a stop to the Honor Code violations.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Fire BRONCO!

(tic)
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I got a kick out of the people that thought that somehow Bronco was going to put a stop to the Honor Code violations.
Bronco's first year I used to fight with people a lot about this.

Most parents have a hard enough time with their own kids. Let alone kids who have grown up and are now adults. Let alone controlling people that aren't your kids. Let alone 100 of them. Let alone football players trained to be aggressive and are in the middle of the social scene.

Bronco is hired to coach football not be responsible for the worthiness of the football team.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I applaud Bronco for the stressing the Honor Code and the additional controls he put into place to aid compliance and accountability, but it still is nowhere near a panacea.

Eventually, there will be a couple of players busted for whipping their willies out at an inopportune moment, just as surely as it has happened under LaVell and Crowton.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I applaud Bronco for the stressing the Honor Code and the additional controls he put into place to aid compliance and accountability, but it still is nowhere near a panacea.

Eventually, there will be a couple of players busted for whipping their willies out at an inopportune moment, just as surely as it has happened under LaVell and Crowton.
I'm hoping willy whipping Honor Code expulsions are a thing of the past, unless cops have to get involved. It's not the sort of thing that should prompt HCO meddling.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
BYU71

Quote:

I applaud Bronco for being clear and honest about what the kids are getting into. No excuses. They can't say they didn't realize they were entering a very strict, religious based environment. I also applaud Bronco because I think unlike some fans he realizes these are young people who will make mistakes. I trust he will treat them fairly under the given circumstances.

If the kid has to go to another school, unlike some fans, I think Bronco wishes the best for the kid and holds no animosity. He has to deal with what he has been dealt.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
BYU71

Default An additional comment

Note the number upset at Tonga and his stupidity and action.

Now this article is quoted on CB.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2811478

Where is the outrage over members of Elders Quorum Presidencies. Surely they should know better than to shoot someone.

Do you think there will be any outcries to do away with EQ Presidencies because of the embarassment.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2811194

Do some people live in lala land. Do they actually believe being a RM would put you in a position of never doing anything dumb again. Perhaps attending BYU and being a RM would make you in a position to never do anything dumb again.

This is the one side of the testimonial recruiting stories done by TBS and reported to an adoring readership. These kids set themselves up for the fall in the eyes of some of the fan base. "How could this kid have done that. Didn't he tell us all the spirit brought him here to BYU."

Man, go through the month in the life of a Bishop. I had a former Bishop sit by me in testimony meeting. I told him I was shocked to hear so and so were getting divorced. He said the husband had lived in the basement for 8 years. He said people just don't realize what is going on under the "fascade" as they sit in ward Sacrament meeting.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all Lifi is saying is that a returned missionary should know better. And I agree with him.

I don't think he's saying being an RM is insulation against stupidity, only that it ought to be.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #10
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all Lifi is saying is that a returned missionary should know better. And I agree with him.

I don't think he's saying being an RM is insulation against stupidity, only that it ought to be.
A RM should know better than to tell a cop a lie so by definition are you saying when it comes to lieing, RM's understand the concept more than anyone else.

That could be considered a biggoted statement. What if I said something like, Tonga is poly, therefor he doesn't understand the concept of telling the truth as much as a white guy.

I will tell some of my associates who are non-mormon that the RM's they deal with are inherently more honest.

Please credit RM's for a lot of things. but don't put them on a pedestal above other people when it comes to honesty. Of all the questions asked Temple Recommend applicants, I think dealing honestly is the one most members don't consider important.