cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU has 3 commits already

from high school juniors with four more offers out there.

I am glad BYU is getting on the bandwagon of what it takes to win in big time college athletics, but it strikes me as odd.

Saying that it could be a good year for LDS skill players. That Timo kid and the WR from Sactown could be fairly national level recruits. Perhaps not at the level of the Te'o MLB from Kahuku, but similar in ability/recruitment as David Nixon and perhaps Austin Collie.

I am ashamed I know that much information about 16 year olds, somebody help me. Gary Crowton did his best to help me and even he was unable to get me over this curse/plague from which I suffer.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't be happier with the way things are going. Sure I would rather hear them talk about scheduling "big time" schools rather than EWU, but in the grand scheme of things that is a small issue for me.

The guy is recruiting non-LDS kids. Despite what the zealots thought, he is recruiting kids who don't initally act like BYU is the only place for them. His handling of HC issues has been superb. I don't know exactly how they have been handled, that is what is superb.

My only fear is that someone somewhere will get the hair brained idea again that we are winning because it is BYU's divine destiny to win. Someone will get the hairbrained idea that a great coach gets too much attention and becomes bigger than BYU.

However, that shouldn't happen until they have to hold Bronco firesides at the conference center to accomodate everyone. Until then I will walk around with this little smile on my face.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I couldn't be happier with the way things are going. Sure I would rather hear them talk about scheduling "big time" schools rather than EWU, but in the grand scheme of things that is a small issue for me.

The guy is recruiting non-LDS kids. Despite what the zealots thought, he is recruiting kids who don't initally act like BYU is the only place for them. His handling of HC issues has been superb. I don't know exactly how they have been handled, that is what is superb.

My only fear is that someone somewhere will get the hair brained idea again that we are winning because it is BYU's divine destiny to win. Someone will get the hairbrained idea that a great coach gets too much attention and becomes bigger than BYU.

However, that shouldn't happen until they have to hold Bronco firesides at the conference center to accomodate everyone. Until then I will walk around with this little smile on my face.
Non-LDS recruiting this year has me concerned. I look for at least 5 a year, right not BYU has one and that is one that I think they picked up because he is from Utah and wants to stay close and the U did not show him much love.

However, other than my one issue with this years outlook, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Lets see how the Mantangi Tonga issue develops. I am interested if his clout with the "mullahs" sown by his firesides and other religious rhetoric will harvest the same fruits as it did for Russel T.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
BYU71

Default I have no need to find out details

but I find some things quite curious. I have heard several people say he is still going on a mission. Can you get kicked out of BYU and still go on a mission.

I knew BYU standards were tougher than Temple worthiness, but mission worthiness????? I had no idea.

I talked to an ex athlete whose father is, or had been, or knows someone who is, or had been an ex coach at BYU. (Hopefully that will keep anyone from trying to figure out who he is.) He said his Dad had some concerns that BYU's new restrictive nature on athletes was going to keep a lot of good kids from getting a chance to join or at leat get to know our religion better.

While I am impressed with Bronco's recruiting, when it comes to the LDS kids I don't see we are getting any kids we wouldn't have gotten under the two previous coaches.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Non-LDS recruiting this year has me concerned. I look for at least 5 a year, right not BYU has one and that is one that I think they picked up because he is from Utah and wants to stay close and the U did not show him much love.

However, other than my one issue with this years outlook, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Lets see how the Mantangi Tonga issue develops. I am interested if his clout with the "mullahs" sown by his firesides and other religious rhetoric will harvest the same fruits as it did for Russel T.
BYU has offered several non-LDS players. Nicholson just committed last week. I'm not sure what you think the problem is.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

If we wish to attract athletes who might otherwise not be introduced, we may have to invite some Trojanettes to campus as well.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
BYU has offered several non-LDS players. Nicholson just committed last week. I'm not sure what you think the problem is.
My concern is that BYU will not sign 5 non-LDS kids this year. The problem will then arise when the percentages of BYU's football roster gets in excess of 80% LDS, accounting for kids who get baptized at BYU. As far as I know, BYU appears to have a verbal from one non-LDS kid and offers out to two more I know for sure, Paul and Chambers. Who else has BYU offered that isn't LDS and how likely are they to commit/sign?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Napper can speak for himself, but I have nothing going on right now so I will chime in.

I think he said he had a concern, not he thought there was a problem. If we sign 4-5 non-LDS kids I am sure he will say his concern was addressed.

If we want to continue to get better, my concern is top LDS kids are stilling talking about going elsewhere and the number of non-LDS kids that have committed right now.

Things look very good. Just not walk on water status some posters on another site seem to advocate.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
My concern is that BYU will not sign 5 non-LDS kids this year. The problem will then arise when the percentages of BYU's football roster gets in excess of 80% LDS, accounting for kids who get baptized at BYU. As far as I know, BYU appears to have a verbal from one non-LDS kid and offers out to two more I know for sure, Paul and Chambers. Who else has BYU offered that isn't LDS and how likely are they to commit/sign?
I'm not sure who specifically, but not every Poly offered is LDS.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote