cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GPS watches...thoughts?

Going off of Sizzle's earlier post on running. I have taken up running again a few months ago. There are a bunch of people that are talking about how much they have liked the nike+ system that can track their runs.

I have also talked to some runners that only use the Garmin GPS watches which show the routes they take and can also do calories, distance, etc. Does anyone use this and if so, how have you liked it.

For those that are not sure what I am talking about, this is it and it looks like it is a pretty good deal right now: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Garmi...oductDetail.do

If anyone has any thoughts, let me know. Thanks.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got the Garmin 305, and most of my running buddies have similar Garmins, which are the standard of the running community. It's be Garmin or be gay. Of course, you're ute so we know which choice you might make.

Last edited by Archaea; 03-27-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I really like the Garmin running watches. If I were seriously into running I would strongly consider getting one.

The one thing it is lacking is an online forum where you can upload your run info and participate in challenges like the ipod does. I would imagine it won't be long before someone figures out how easy this would be and makes one for garmin or some other company. I'm also still waiting for someone to do the same thing for cycling computers, but it is a whole other thread.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
UteStar

Archaea...thanks for the thoughts and backhanded slap. Gay is so yesterday, I am metrosexual. I think the garmin 205 will look good on my arm as I run in my bicycle shorts, mid-driff light red shirt, bandana around my neck and no socks.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Archaea...thanks for the thoughts and backhanded slap. Gay is so yesterday, I am metrosexual. I think the garmin 205 will look good on my arm as I run in my bicycle shorts, mid-driff light red shirt, bandana around my neck and no socks.
I haven't compared the difference in the 205 and 305, but why would you want a lower number? Or is the lower number the better model?

I really only receive or buy this stuff. I guess it's Be Garmin or Be Gored.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
UteStar

The biggest difference is that there is no heart monitor on the 205. I think the rest of it is pretty much the same. I don't work out as much as you do, so I don't know if I need to pay the extra $100 for the heart monitor...how important is it for you to keep track of your rate heart?

A buddy of mine has the 201 (the older version of the 205) and he loves it and the 205 has really updated the 201. And, to be able to get it for around $200 seems like a great deal.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
The biggest difference is that there is no heart monitor on the 205. I think the rest of it is pretty much the same. I don't work out as much as you do, so I don't know if I need to pay the extra $100 for the heart monitor...how important is it for you to keep track of your rate heart?

A buddy of mine has the 201 (the older version of the 205) and he loves it and the 205 has really updated the 201. And, to be able to get it for around $200 seems like a great deal.
I got the heart monitor version for 260.

Heart monitors actually are quite important to determine proper exertion. In my mind, it's important to acquire one with heart monitor. That's an important part of training.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
UteStar

Because I am not the workout guy like you are, I have decided to go with the 205 without the heart rate monitor. I am excited to get running with it though and tracking what I am doing. I am now a Garmin man (not a gay man)!