cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UteStar's book review: Younger Next Year

Ok, the title of the full book is: 'Younger Next Year: A Guide to living like 50 until you're 80 and Beyond.' I am 32 years old. Why on earth would I read this now? Well, my dad gave it to me and told me that I would enjoy it. I was shocked that I did and I found it useful.

The book is geared toward the older population but I was able to take quite a bit from it and start using it now. Chris Crowley tackles the book from an older man that is using the tools to look and feel younger and to be healthier. Dr. Lodge discusses why if we do certain things, it will dramatically improve our health and in essence, slow down the aging process and make our latter years healthier and more enjoyable. There were several areas of discussion that I found very useful:

Exercise Now--I am able to continually make excuses about not exercising but they make a great point. Look at exercise as a job that you have to do 6 days a week. Not 3 days a week and not even 5 days a week, but 6 days a week, every week.

Stop the aging process--Your body wants to stay as young as it can and it has been recently with fast food, television, cars, etc. that people don't do things and don't go out and get exercise or walk around or just staying active. The human body has had to work hard for thousands and thousands of years...it is only the past 100 years where our body is not having to work and our bodies hate that. They want to be moving...they want to get worked out but we often inhibit that need by being lazy.

Older people--I have seen the differences. My dad is 73 and he is a complete machine. He plays tennis 2 days a week, he works out 3 other days and he does exercies for the other 2 days. You compare him to the majority of other people his age and to people 10 years younger and he looks better than 98% of them. That is because he is working out, eating well and enjoying life. My mother is getting on that bandwagon as well and is looking good.

How it affects me today--It has gotten me working toward improving my overall health. I am working out more and I am understand better a lot of what was taught in the book. I see what I want to look like in 20, 30 and 40 years and what I need to do to reach that.

Tone of the book--It initially irritated me in how they switch back and forth between chapters but I ended up looking forward to each new point of view (medical and common man) at the start of each chapter. It is effective. You get the science (Chris Crowley) and you get the common person (Dr. Lodge) talking about what he is doing to improve his health and his life.

Biggest drawback though is that Crowley can get a bit annoying with his constant cheerleading. It probably works for the older population, but I was ready to stuff the book down his throat a couple of times. I enjoyed the book and I see this as a book that can benefit those 50+ but can also be very beneficial for those well under 50.

Anyway, there you go...
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote