cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Favorite New Yorker article

Article title: Fortress Mamet
Publication Date: Issue of 1997-11-17
BY: John Lahr

About David Mamet, the playwright and screenwriter.

I can't find an electronic copy. If anyone can find it, please let me know.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If you can't find it surfing the Internet likey you have to buy it from the newyorker.com site. A few are posted on the Internet; most are not. You can always access select pieces from the current issue as I just did. There's also a CD set of every New Yorker ever published that doesn't cost too much.

There are many that I have loved. Some that stand out are the story about Admiral Borha, the Navy Chief who killed himself; the one about Neil LaBute; James Wood's piece on Cormac McCarthy; the most recent Star Wars movie review (my wife has been somewhat of a Star Wars fan, and she doesn't care for the New Yorker, but that review completely killed her desire to see the last movie; it was a brilliant evisceration); Jon Anderson's dispatches from Afghanistan and Iraq; David Remnick's dispatches from the crumbling Iron Curtain and early post-Communist Russia (these and the Borha article may be my all-time favorites, it was even quite funny); David Remnick's pieces about boxing, including one especially memorable one about Mike Tyson; a recent piece about Mozart; various articles about evolution, intelligent design, etc.; a pre-Salt Lake Winter Olympics critique of Mormonism; an overview of the Scottish Enlightenment enlightening me that we have much more to thank Scotland for than inventing Single Malts; etc.

To name a few. Alas, my wife hates clutter and I've saved none of these. So like you I'd have to buy them again. If you do get the Mamet piece please shoot it to me; it sounds interesting.

By the way, the current issue has a very memorable article in addition to the one I linked, about bards in India continuing a rich tradition of orally presented epics, like Homer did back when Greeks were illiterate, and how studying folks such as these has helped us undestand better how the Iliad and the Odyssey were composed and preserved through an oral tradition before Greeks could write. The best ones in INdia can recite epics four times as long as the Bible from memory.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 11-20-2006 at 10:04 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen,

I used the library databases to check and the publisher of the New Yorker only offers digital full-text back to 1999.

Sorry.

Last edited by BarbaraGordon; 11-20-2006 at 10:25 PM.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool. I hadn't thought to read it online. Our subscription ran out last year.
Mike, remember all those old issues that you forbade me to throw out? The Mamet article is probably in there. You and your packrat self are welcome to dig through those (and no, I won't do it for you).

Some memorable articles... There was one on Radiohead many years ago that I really enjoyed, the one on Paul Cox, one by Oliver Sacks (maybe last year?), and more that I can't think of right now.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote