cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The "Change is Coming" President

Of course, lots of people are shocked that Obama is appointing the same ol' folks that have always been in charge. Business as usual.

Apparently, unlike myself, a lot of people didn't pay attention to the fact that Obama's power stemmed from his being a cog in the Chicago political machine, that he had been groomed for power for many, many years by established influences.

Only morons are surprised.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Of course, lots of people are shocked that Obama is appointing the same ol' folks that have always been in charge. Business as usual.

Apparently, unlike myself, a lot of people didn't pay attention to the fact that Obama's power stemmed from his being a cog in the Chicago political machine, that he had been groomed for power for many, many years by established influences.

Okay, call me a moron. But I'm relieved this election was much ado about nothing. I think your logic is right.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Well, I personally think his power stemmed from a little more than being a "cog." But I'm sure he's benefitted from that type of infrastructure. That's how they play the game. Anyway, he also billed himself as having good judgment and analytical skills. That will cut both ways at every turn, depending on whether or not you agree with the choices. Putting "known" and experienced people into his cabinet is at least a cautious move. Probably even prudent, given his youth and inexperience.

There may or may not be change. The change theme is as much packaging and emotion as anything. That's just the way it works.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:42 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Well, I personally think his power stemmed from a little more than being a "cog." But I'm sure he's benefitted from that type of infrastructure. That's how they play the game. Anyway, he also billed himself as having good judgment and analytical skills. That will cut both ways at every turn, depending on whether or not you agree with the choices. Putting "known" and experienced people into his cabinet is at least a cautious move. Probably even prudent, given his youth and inexperience.

There may or may not be change. The change theme is as much packaging and emotion as anything. That's just the way it works.
Democrats are saying "we meant change from Bush."

They didn't mean change from the status quo of political interests, power brokers, lobbyists, and special interests. They forgot to mention that part to the American people.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 AM   #5
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Democrats are saying "we meant change from Bush."

They didn't mean change from the status quo of political interests, power brokers, lobbyists, and special interests. They forgot to mention that part to the American people.
Yeah, yeah. We all want to see the special interests gone, except when they are our own special interests. I think people--at least subconsciously--understand that. I do think primarily people meant change from Bush, change from the Republican exective. The other changes. . . those would be nice, too, but who are we kidding?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Yeah, yeah. We all want to see the special interests gone, except when they are our own special interests. I think people--at least subconsciously--understand that. I do think primarily people meant change from Bush, change from the Republican exective. The other changes. . . those would be nice, too, but who are we kidding?
If he meant change from the status quo, he should have specified it. But he's a politician and therefore a liar.

As for trying to convince the public that he has good judgment, all those years in a pew listening to a hate monger and starting his political career in the living room of a known domestic terrorist tells us that he has extremely poor judgment.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

there is no such thing as real change as long as the republicrats and demopublicans hold a monopoly on political power. They're simply different manifestations of the same party.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote