cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
BigSinner

Default Poll: What form of church discipline do I deserve?

Catchy title, eh?

So, I've been active in the church most of my life -- although I haven't been to a temple in 8 years. Six years ago (after a mission), I made some serious mistakes and confessed them to my bishop. I'd had sex a few times, with more than one person -- within just a few weeks. When I say "a few", I honestly mean less than 5 -- if you're keeping score at home. Also, that was the first-time I'd even rounded first base.

My bishop, after initially scheduling a disciplinary council, ultimately decided upon informal probation and then no disciplinary action at all. We met regularly for more than two years. During the time we met, I was severely depressed and struggling with testimony and family issues -- and I had a couple of obedience mis-steps. However, I was going to church and generally obeying the rules.

Fast forward to 2 years ago: After the end of a short marriage (non-temple, non-member, less than a year -- but no pre-marital sex), I have been struggling to come back to full activity in church.

I've always been around church (attending meetings off and on, even doing home teaching), even though I haven't held a real calling since 2003. In the last year, I have continued a battle with serious depression and family issues; drunk alcohol countless times; dated a non-member (we had sex several times over a few months); and had sex with 2 other people. Basically, after the divorce, I went into depressed, self-destruct mode for a few months.

Now, after several months of no alcohol, no sex, but steady depression and anxiety, I've moved into a new ward. I was meeting regularly with my previous bishop, as I struggled to pull myself together.

My whole life I've struggled with having a testimony at all, but have cobbled one together and clung to it, despite the fact my testimony doesn't quite look like what the average Mormon believes. At the end of day, church is home; it's who I am; my real home sucks, but I feel something in church, and although I may have a raftload of issues, I want to be a contributing, dedicated part, even if I've now had two major screw-up phases in life (4 or 5 years apart).

The second time I met with my new bishop -- I introduced myself, and he cut to the chase, asking if there was any "reason" I needed to see him, i.e. anything to confess. I said yes and he asked me if I'd had sex outside of marriage ever. Yes. Asked whether it happened more than once. Yes. Then, he told me I was the Stake President's responsibility b/c I'm a Melchizedek Priesthood holder. Doesn't that mean he thinks I'm likely to be excommunicated??? Am I?

I would seriously appreciate candid takes on why I would be referred to the SP. (As well as what I should do?)

I really want to repent, to be good. That's why I have been trying to hammer my way back for months. I know I had a rough patch. I know I screwed up, and I wish I had some sort of ironclad faith or obedience. But, now I'm freaked out: does a referral to the Stake President automatically put me on the chopping block? Or what is the process? I don't think I've met with a SP since my mission interview.