cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This is Romney's moment

Newt's numbers going down, Romney's stabilizing and going up even. The best news I have heard for Romney that puts both he and New at 30% (I think nationally). That 30% for Romney is higher than 20%, and higher than 25%. That tells me he may FINALLY be pulling in some of the anybody-but-Romney vote.

He's making himself more accessible to the media, he's trotting his wife out to humanize him, he's being more open about himself (including mentioning his religious life/experiences/work).

I think at some point, you have to lay down all your cards and say "this is who I am, in total" and then either be accepted or rejected. Some ability to accept/risk losing is required to win over people.

If Newt is cratering it's hard to see who could step up now. Is Huntsman a stalking horse? His negatives in polling are huge. Santorum? I just can't see it. Bachmann, I can't see that either. Can Perry turn things around? I hope not. That guy would destroy the country I'm just waiting for Perry to up the ante on Gingrich and says that he would execute supreme court judges for treason.

For Romney, he needs to make a personal connection with voters. He needs people to feel "this is my man." "I like this man." Buy in at the gut emotional level. Not just a "most electable, least crap in the closet, safe-pick" choice.

I would expect that at some point someone who is desperate is going to play the Mormon card big-time, God-maker's style. We shall see.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote