cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much fraud is going on in academic research? Autism and Vaccines

http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c5347.full

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/05/132692...tism-was-fraud

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...-has-said.html

Academic fraud is really a spectrum thing, not a yes/no dichotomy. You have some people that are sloppy. You have some people that let their biases enter the picture, and they game the question and the methods, but what they actually do in terms of procedures is on the up and up. And then you have people who will adjust things (towards their biases), but justifying it (somewhat reasonably). Some bias is subconscious, some of it is conscious. Then you have people that are adjusting things, without really proper justification--i.e. changing the rules during the middle of the game. Of course there is just plain making up the data and that kind of thing.

I'll give you an example of the kind of thing that can happen (and certainly does happen all the time). You have a research question, you collect your data, you decide on how to analyze it. You have an intervention, and an outcome. You adjust for certain other factors (like age). You get a result that indicates that your intervention "worked", but there is a 6% chance that the positive results you found are a matter of chance, and not truly efficacious. By convention, if there is a 5% chance or less that it is chance, then it is accepted as gospel truth. But if it's above 5% then it is a "negative study." The researcher is frustrated. He just knows that the intervention works, and the world needs to know about it. He thinks about it, and says, "you know what, I really should have adjusted for sex and race as well." He runs the analysis, and it comes back as only 4% chance of being random variation. Now he has a positive study. And he can make the argument, that he really indeed should have included race and sex.

And then you have the guys who tweak their analyses 50 different ways. The first 49 are insignificant results, but the 50th is significant. Guess what gets reported.

My point is this: I bet if you do enough digging into studies--many of them seminal studies accepted as gospel truth, you will frequently find evidence of gaming results.

This kind of thing requires a level of personal integrity that may not be as common as needed. Because it involves examining your own personal biases, and kind of de-investing yourself from the results of your studies. And ignoring the professional and financial implications of your results. Sometimes a failed study means your career is over. Because there is only a Step B if Step A works.

It's only the really high-profile studies that come under the microscope. The cloning genetics guy in S. Korea is an example. There have also been some medical safety trials where lawyers got involved and found a lot of problems in studies. This is merely the stuff that percolates into the public consciousness.

But I have good news. Most medical studies don't matter anyway, no matter the results. And even when done non-fraudulently, the results are often wrong.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...-science/8269/
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote