cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Two reasons: 1) because far too many people do not have health insurance right now, which cripples them economically or even costs people their lives, and which is a heavy burden on society at large when those individuals can't pay their costs; and 2) because the current rate of spending on health insurance is simply not sustainable.
Okay, now you're mentioning specifics.

Why do you believe the number is far too high?

Secondly, what do you believe the number is? Working in the health care industry, at least incidentally, I don't believe the big numbers politicians quote.

But a follow up question, what portion of whatever the number is attributable to choice, i.e., college kids risking it to save a few bucks, versus those who are uninsured because of uninsurability or unaffordability?

Now, if you're honest, you'll have to admit we have no idea what the number of uninsured is who are uninsured by choice versus the other subcategory. And if we can't determine what the number is with any reasonable degree of confidence, how can we say it's too high?

But let's move another step, let's assume that the number of uninsurables for cost or coverage is 8 million persons, a lot of persons.

Quote:
About 1/6 of our spending goes to health care, and it is increasing rapidly. That isn't sustainable, and it is hurting us economically and competitively.
And you know where costs outstrip demand, costs are reigned in, so why the alarm?

These are two assumptions which liberals make but I don't see proof of it. I see many factors in our international competitiveness, but health care? In many of the countries, such as Brazil, China and India, which are hurting our economic base, they don't grand social contracts for health care.

You'll have to make a good argument that is hurting us.

Quote:
Sure- consumption of fatty foods and a lethargic lifestyle are obviously contributing to high costs, but that isn't even close to the entire answer.

Obviously.
I never said it was, but it's not even part of the liberal equation to "remedy" health care. Why not?

What if this is the primary reason, combined with the impossible to satiate appetite for health care on demand?

Nobody even studies these lifestyles angles, because they don't yield political results which give more power to politicians. Politics is about gaining power and if one can't get power from an issue then you ignore issues such as the ones highlighted.