cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Valentinus1

Valentinus1 is on a distinguished road
Default Spiritual Journey with Variety

I have talked a great deal with Archaea about the LDS church and how I could possibly find a place in it. I decided to take a short time away from message boards for a period of discernment. It wasn't long. I took the LDS Missionary Lessons. Fascinatingly, despite the possibility of internal controversy (myself) and external controversy (the church), I feel the pull to be part of it. Not to create controversy or create sociological change but to learn and grow in a much different perspective.

I agreed, through prayerful consideration, to allow myself to be baptized. My siblings and grandparents on my mother's side are ecstatic. My sentiments, however, are a little different. I'm not excited to be baptized. At best, I am humbled by the opportunity and privilege. I am still working everything out in my head. My brother will baptize me and with my brothers-in-law confirm me.

I do confess that I lack the child-like faith. This is where my variety begins to show.

I am fascinated, as said before, with Gnosticism and the odd relationship it indirectly has with LDS theology. In another way, I am just as intrigued by Humanism and how I can somehow apply it to my religious ideation. This has stemmed from Greg Epstein's Good Without God.

Oddly, I don't feel that I need to submit myself to any form of LDS creedalism by joining the church. I will maintain my LDS beliefs but instill my other contemporary beliefs as well.

Is it a time to celebrate? Yes it is. Is it also a time to take caution? Yes.

As Archaea stated before...it is not an accomodating religion for homosexuals. That is a chance I have to take.

Pistis. Pneuma. Pleroma.

-Teresa Moreno
Professor of Christian History and Ethics
Valentinus1 is offline   Reply With Quote