cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hitler's Hidden Holocaust

This is a program by Nat Geo, about the Einsatzgruppen. I had heard of this show on NPR, can't remember which NPR program. But the gist was that we only hear about the death camps, and primarily Auschwitz. What we don't hear about are the many that were killed by Hitler's goons, methodologically, with guns. And much earlier than the death camps.

I recorded the show tonight. Watched the first part. One of the German soldiers took pictures. The pictures I saw were of belongings and a group of people (Jews) that were rounded up, and were to be killed in hours. A picture of some knitted mittens, with a string tied between the two, raised the hairs on my neck. Then the pictures of adults holding beautiful children. It is hard to see this.

I will finish the program later. I will watch it. I owe that much to them. To remember them, and tell their story, in the limited way I can.

Evil people do not know that they are evil. No one tells them. They think they are perfectly justified and quite normal in their understanding of the world.

In my fantasy, I go back in time, and I give a million black rifles to the Jews, gypsies, the homosexuals, the undesirables, and I wage war, terrible war. But maybe the Prince of Darkness laughs and eggs me on.

Maybe, like lambs to the slaughter, they did it better. They stood as testament to evil. They witnessed with their lives, the stark contrast of innocence to darkness.

Perhaps God raised some men to die. But maybe he raised some men to kill. In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children.

What shall we do? The little things. Get to know our neighbors. Build trust in our communities. Get involved in local politics. Work to make our little place in this world better. My Jewish friend, much older than me said this: "I have a lot of respect for Mormons. Like Jews, they believe the world can be redeemed."

It's hard to look at photos of genocide and believe the world can be redeemed. But what choice do we have?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote