cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruincoug View Post
I think that you're right Barbara (and others) -- women and girls' basing self-esteem purely on attractiveness--often sexualized attractiveness -- to men is a sad reality.

I think that it comes about, in part, from popular culture's vacuous emphasis on little else. On TV, in movies, at high school, etc., sexual appeal is king.

But, even within the church -- and among people who understand that there's more to self-worth than sexual appeal -- the self-esteem is weighed down by a desire to be sexually attractive. In a way, the church's emphases mere add pressure to be attractive to men -- rather than to achieve in ways where attractiveness be damned.

What I mean:
1. LDS girls might understand that they are daughters of God, have unique self-worth etc., BUT
2. They are also inculcated with the idea that women's highest calling is to be mothers and that celestial marriage should be their number one goal.
3. Every girl knows -- long before popular culture exaggerates it -- that physical appearance plays a strong role in dating and marriages decisions.
4. In order to achieve the goals that the church most emphasizes (and that grown-up LDS women may base their self-esteem on), LDS girls realize that the more physically attractive / sexy / beautiful one is, the greater her advantage in the dating/marriage sweepstakes. Or, in other words, "how can someone who is ugly find someone to marry in the temple and have children with?" And "If I can't find someone to marry, am I less in God's eyes?"

True, popular culture may exaggerate our emphasis on sexiness or beauty. But, Mormon values set up many girls for similar self-esteem problems.
I got a good chuckle out of this. The hidden LDS message to girls is: get sexy or you won't get saved. Heh.

Give me a break.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote