cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road
Default Americans are not ready for socialized medicine

I think there are a lot of efficiencies to be gained by socializing medicine. However, I'm concerned that Americans just aren't ready for it. They've been spoiled for too long getting what they want, now. Wait until someone tells them no, you can't have your MRI of your knee because frankly, the government doesn't care if you're a future all-star of your city league over-40 basketball team. No, you can't have the newest blood pressure medicine because it costs 20x the amount of the old one that makes you a little more tired when you run. No, we're not doing another EKG today because you've been here 18 times this year for chest pain and it's never amounted to anything. No, we won't do a Vitamin B12 level to check out that tingling sensation in your toe. No, we're not going to keep your 80 yo father in the ICU for the next month hoping that he turns a corner.

I'm obviously talking about Americans with good insurance, but a lot of this applies to Medicaid patients, who in some cases, have the best insurance out there. But these Americans with good insurance are the ones in power and they're not going to stand for rationing. Any sort of socialized program akin to Europe or Canada is going to be extraordinarily expensive because of this.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote