cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
I am delighted to see you here - a guy who loves a good argument.

I think you make an enormous assumption when you suggest that "science and societal progress" favor same-sex marriage. Do you see that?
LA, I'm delighted to see YOU here. This is my lair. MikeWaters and I are spiritual brothers in a zealous bond of faith.

As I've said here previously, my support for gay marriage is rooted in the common sense fact that gays do not choose to be gay. They have also expressed the same desire and ability as heterosexuals to hold down monogomous relationships and raise children. Do you doubt either of these propositions?

I really doubt that gays would inflict any more damage on marriage than heterosexuals have. Marriage seems to have survived the greatest possible threat--no fault divorce.

Yes, this is about one word. The LDS Church does not approve of civil unions but drawing the line there would be a hopeless waste of political calital, and cpunterproductive.

The purpose of calling gay civil unions marriage is to legitimatize their life style, to put their families on the same civic footing as families headed by heterosexuals. Civil unions are precisely analogous to separate but equal.

This is admittedly ultimately about values. We all have a dog in this fight. Our very souls are at stake. It's the immutability of homosexuality that gives this issue a powerful moral dimension.

I am not the kind of person who asks questions like, why did God make gays? But to those who do, how about this: God made gays to provide possibly the ultimate test of our ability not just to tolerate but to celebrate diversity. Learning that lesson seems to me what the drama of human existence has been about, after we provide for our necessities, and perhaps the reason we are on earth.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote