cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #13
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Do I seem like someone who hasn't made up his mind? I agree this is wholly about values, and don't shrink from declaring mine are superior from Ms. Beck's and those who are pulling her puppet strings. I hate what she's doing to my nieces and young cousins. I hate what her predecessors did to women I've loved of pervious generations. Yes, those are my values. I think they're better than Mormon values, more humane, more conducive to excellence, and joy. Get used to being told your values are lacking, Mormons. How does it feel? Yes, open debate means this is a two way street.

I agree with the man who called her an ignorant slave more than I agree with her. I'm happy to engage folks, but I'll tell them if I disagree. I don't agree with the way that woman is raising her daughters. I think she's putting a glass ceiling over their capacity for growth and fulfullment. I thnk she's raising her sons to be sexist, possibly mysoginistic brutes. That's what I believe, and I appreciate what that man is trying to say to her, though he may have been more tactful.

The woman is a kook. She said she's delibirately raising her daughters to not ahve letters after their last names. It's telling she noted she's the same as she's raising her daughters. She might as well be telling me she's binding her baby daughters' feet or circumcising her girls. To the extent it matters, by the way, mainstream American society is on my side, and the guy's side who called her a slave, not hers.
I have no problem with you disagreeing with me or the Mormon Church. I have no problem with you criticizing Beck's comments or even President Monson's. I do have a problem with you characterizing anyone who disagrees with you as "kooks" or "insecure masses". She's not debliberately raising her kids "not to have letters after their last names". Read the quote again--she says "maybe", implying that letters after a person's name is not the most important thing in life.

This touches a nerve for me, in that I married a very intelligent, accomplished woman who intentionally gave up personal ambitions to raise our children. The natural assumption she faces from others, in and outside of Utah, is that she's a gold-digger because she married a doctor and is a full-time mother. It's insulting to me and insulting to her, and I think Beck's talk, while going overboard in many ways, was probably directed at these types of moms, reassuring them that the sacrifices they've made will be worth it. Neither of us were big fans of her talk, mostly for the lack of sensitivity, her fairly narrow world-view, and her failure to reach out to those who are not full-time mothers. However, to dismiss all full-time mothers as "slaves", "kooks", or "insecure" is incredibly narrow-minded, ironically to the same extent as Julie Beck.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote