cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
Oxcoug

Oxcoug is on a distinguished road
Default How Obama lost in November

The man - for all of his gifts for rhetoric and public diplomacy - is just starting to look more like the Amazing Unelectable Howard Dean.

He's already spooked the Jewish vote (wave buh bye to Florida, kids!) by not being more penitent about his 20-year friendship with Jeremiah Wright, the man who inspired the title of his autobiography, and a man who proudly flaunts his man-love for Louis Farrakhan.

Now he's gone and in one sentence managed to write off gun-owners, religionists and small towns as "bitter." Obviously Obama didn't mean to group them all so sweepingly, but that's beside the point. The fact that he links gun ownership and religion at all on ANY level to some economic malaise indicts his judgment. (What idiotic logic - people buy guns and go to church because they're bitter? Really? My varmint-hunting devout Mormon cousins in Arizona are the least bitter people I've ever met.)

Now the irony in all of this, is, of course, that Obama has been publicly lying about his own opposition to free trade through the course of his entire campaign. We now know he's lying when he stands up and vents against NAFTA or other agreements because (a) one of his own advisers told the Canadian government as much and (b) he (thinking he was off the record) told some wealthy donors in San Fran that such thinking was characteristic of the "bitter" (and as we know, Obama's all about hope, not bitterness).

If I were a Republican strategist - one of the ones that's been crossing fingers that somehow Hillary will win the nomination for the Dems - I'd shift my thinking. Obama looks sooo takeable right now. Jewish vote? Gone. Veteran vote? Long gone. Working class whites? Slipping away. Reagan Democrats? Very nervous. Hispanics? No guarantees given that McCain has developed a base there.

Who's the fat lady over there any way? Is she getting ready to sing?

No, the end is still a long way off. But it amazes me that this year - of all years, a year that Dems could have taken in a walk with just a sensible centrist white guy like Mark Warner or Tom Vilsack - the Democrats find themselves yet again on the verge of overreaching, of picking a candidate that Americans simply will not allow to be president.
Oxcoug is offline   Reply With Quote