cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moderate positions I agree with McCain

1. Torture, as a policy for the United States, is a bad idea.
2. Drilling ANWR, bad idea
3. Rolling back mileage requirements for vehicles in the USA (CAFE standards) as Romney supports, bad idea.
4. Not giving some serious thought to global warming, bad idea.
5. Kicking out all illegals, regardless of circumstance, bad idea.

I see McCain as arguably stronger that Romney on the 2nd amendment, and arguably stronger on abortion.

What I don't like about McCain

1. His personality
2. His vindictiveness
3. His hawkishness

McCain is strongest on deficit issues, pork-barrel, and special interests. He has a long record in the Senate, fighting against these things. Which builds his conservative credentials in the economics arena.

When Romney took a strong anti-illegal-immigrant position, he made a calculated choice that winning the nomination was more important than winning the general election. Anyone with Tancredo-views is unelectable, in my opinion. McCain was wise, and now he goes forward as the candidate who can proclaim that he is electable. And we see that the immigration issue quickly dropped off the radar, and won't put any of the border states in the win column for Romney. Another bad calculation on Romney's part.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote